seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Ah , mate looks fantastic , well done , for persevering with this car . Looking forward to seeing it . By the way it took me around two years to stop fussing over the car after the new paint !!!

2 years Rob pppphhhh Sean will be worse than that he's the :geek: detailer ;)

Seeing the work they've done on the cars in their shop, I don't anticipate too much detailing required James! At worst, a single stage mop with a finishing polish and pad, then protection with the Cquartz which is egging me on to get started! :o.

I know for a fact I'll be faffing about with trim and things for a while yet though, and I've also got loads of jobs I wanted to do over the last few weeks that I haven't had time for. I should be able to put a couple of solid weeks of work in mid October though, so I'm contemplating keeping it tucked up for winter, but it depends which ship I join early next year and what it's doing. Should find out next month though where I'm off and when though.

Nice work mate glad its going in should look good when it comes out , are they taking the doors of and bonnet and boot ?

Iv had set backs of my own doing so cars taken a back seat on the paint situation but still lots going on !

Bonnet is coming off so the underside can be done, but doors and tailgate will be staying on I think Matt. I would have liked all shuts doing but it would bump the price up beyond my budget. The base of the door shut where the kick plates are being done though.

How's the car coming along Sean ? Hope all is well with it . Something I forgot to ask you . When you painted the interior did you use the rattle cans or a compressor ? I've done this job before , from grey to black using a compressor . I'm going to repaint the front seats and door cards on my cream leather soon , but I don't have access to a gun now and not to keen on using a can . I was wondering if you used a can ? If so was it easy to do ? Thanks mate

Rob

Alright Rob, not much to report with the car yet, although there should be some progress this week hopefully. I did the interior with the cans. I didn't find it difficult at all. I had the extra large kit so changed cans with over 1/3 left in each though. As long as you keep the gun nozzle clean, you'll achieve a good finish. The gun itself is easy to use and comfortable, and like any gun, as long as you set up and test prior to beginning, you can get a good spray pattern. The only downside is the size of the paint canister. It only holds about 50ml, and goes pretty quickly. Bit of a faff topping it up so often, but not a major problem. The guides on the furniture clinic site are pretty good so I'd suggest watching one of those before you start. If you don't want to get an overly large kit, I'm sure you can pick up some compressed air cans from a hobby shop or something if you need more.

Ok Sean , thanks . I only had a small compressor last time , with the small bowl . Going from grey to black took a long time , I sponged the first two coats on . Did furniture clinic match the colour or is it a standard colour ?. I need black as well as my steering wheel is disgusting .

Rog , thanks bud , it's about time I made the trip to yours though . Iirc I need to get a gun to go with your compressor don't i ? . Not sure how much they are .

King regards

Rob

I sent my headrest to them to colour match Rob. Perfect match on that as its not an area that really gets Sun bleached or worn. I did two sponge base coats as recommended on the entire lot. Not at all noticeable once a couple of coats from the gun are applied though. I also went for satin effect lacquer in the end, although most recommend Matt for closest factory finish. I did a mk4 Golf handbrake handle too from grey and that took a fair few coats. I didn't use it in the end though.

Little to report on paint front, progress seems very slow although they seem to be doing it properly which is encouraging. They sent me a few pics of the inner wing that they've now done last Friday, and they had the wings and bumpers on the stands ready for prep, which the assured me they were ready to crack on with this week. They said it had taken longer to do the inner wing than anticipated, as the repair panel I sent them was both inner and outer skin. They drilled out all the plug welds on the car and the repair panel, then welded the good stuff in.

20140905_070949_zps5alb38jx.jpg

20140905_070929_zpsttoudljv.jpg

20140905_071009_zps35nv9bim.jpg

20140905_071020_zpscxwka8js.jpg

20140905_071036_zps8b7ekilg.jpg

Apart from that and a bit of filler work, not much else had happened. I'm still accumulating parts, and I've had a good clean and prep,of parts ready to go back on. All exterior plastics received a coat of CarPro Dlux which looks fantastic! Just got to see how it fares for longevity. Should be somewhere between 18 months to 2 years though. Interior has had another clean and a couple of coats of protection, and the 288s I got from Harrier have had a coat of my signature rape yellow paint ready to be fitted when I get the car back. Ive got a replacement sunroof motor, an entire car loom thanks to Vr6gar to replace my chopped to bits one, and I went to see Rams last weekend where I acquired a rear beam, a set of front hubs, drive shaft, arb, and a few other bits and pieces. Got my fingers in a few other bits which I'll hopefully get over the weekend, but I'll update on completion. Kind of twiddling my thumbs now though, keep going into the workshop at lunch times and just sort of moving stuff around..............need the car back so I can get stuck in! Lol

Edited by seanl82

Just had a chat with the bodyshop. Still not a great deal done, although there was a little bit of rot at the bottom of the rear arch joining the sill which they've cut out and welded in new. All glass is now out, and bonnet and wings are now bare metal. Should have a couple of photos tomorrow. Although not particularly impressed with the amount of time it's taking them, the level of extra work they're doing in compensation evens it out a bit. Certainly no rush now though as in other news, I'm off away in April for 9 months so not sure if the car will see public roads for about 18 months. :(

Bit of fun in the south Atlantic though so not all bad, and it'll give me a nice bit extra to save for the underside and engine work. :cool:

Edited by seanl82

Amended just for you James. Bloody predictive text!

Couldn't resist matey sorry ;) Where are you off to on your 9 month Jolly?

Update! Had a call from the body shop at lunch today, she's almost finished! Body has been completed, just bonnet and tailgate left to do, then windows to go in. Wish they'd have taken more pics along the way for me, but have to drop of the windscreen trim tomorrow so I'll get some then. It'll be ready for the end of next week apparently. Can't wait to see it and get it home!!!!!!!