seanl82

Seanl82's ringer Storm

Good move on getting the furniture clinic stuff mate, I used it to do a colour change, for which it was pretty good. But for just refreshing the same colour it's absolutely brilliant. Get the Matt finish as it makes the interior look brand new. You can also spray plastics with it to freshen them up. Rather than retrimming the cut up bits I'd find some black ones which are easily found and colour code them. Don't use the compressed air cans, hire or buy a small compressor, and do it somewhere warm.

Nice work keep it up pal.

Cheers Kip, yeah I saw your thread for using it the Furniture Clinic stuff and using Matt effect. Did you need the Large, or Extra Large Kit for the full interior including Door Cards, and what type of spray gun did you use if not the one for the cans? Also did you send a sample for colour matching? Good tip for the plastics too! I'll see how I get on, as I'd rather re-trim them - dependant on finding a reasonably priced colour matched covering, but that's a very good alternative. I know the boot cover plastic is painted, as mine has some scuffs that have gone through, so that's good to know that I can paint it. :thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

The colour match from them is spot on, i`ve still got loads of it left over and I used a spray tanner machine I got from ebay for a fiver...!!!!

I tried using the cans and doing it in the garage when it was frosty outside, took me ages heating the cans up and using a hair dryer to dry the dye....

A small airbrush compressor and gun would do the job. You might get a more even coverage with small car spray gun and maybe more control. I just know the cans were a bit of a chore for a whole interior. If you're not doing a colour change a large kit will be fine, with plenty left over for future repairs etc. you can rent a compressor from them for a small fee I think.

The colour match from them is spot on, i`ve still got loads of it left over and I used a spray tanner machine I got from ebay for a fiver...!!!!

Can you post a picture of the machine you used, so I can see what type of thing to look at please.

We have an industrial compressor at work, but its locked away and maintained by a contracted company so don't know what its like and the spec. Don't think it has a water trap or filter either so probably not I good idea to use it for paint.

Kip, the problem I have is the cracking on the front seats. I don't know if its worth re-colouring the whole interior as I'd probably need to scrub off all the colour anyway?

nice work on the interior there mate its good to see something brought back to life especially on the interior where its very tediouse work , keep it up bud

Went in to put some more of the interior in and attempt to sort out the stereo wiring. Needed to fab a handbrake tunnel bracket as where the welding on the handbrake is, its obstructing the tunnel cover slightly. This took longer than I'd budgeted, and couldn't find an M8 Tap so thats another thing to sort. All prepped and ready to tap, then bolt down though.

I also noticed today that the engine doesn't switch off when the lights are on! Switches off when you turn the lights off though, and normal when no lights on at all. FFS, the entire dash loom really needs replacing I think! Its such a mess, its unreal. Remnants of old alarm systems ripped out with bits of insulation covering where it was spliced in everywhere! If anyone knows of a likely cause of the above off the top of their head, or has come across it before I'm all ears.

I've decided to completely take the stereo wiring out, and start from scratch as well. At least I'll know its done right then.

A couple of teaser pics!

Hopefully will be finished by the end of the w.end provided SWMBO allows me the time! :rolleyes:

Camera Phone Pics but I'm still really impressed with how its coming along!

50/50

20130328_125333_zpsf5071a70.jpg

20130328_125342_zpsa32d9f12.jpg

Pearllllllllllllllllll reflections!

20130328_140922_zps91522148.jpg

20130328_140942_zpsdb755ec5.jpg

I do mate! It looks like there are a few marks in the pic, and I didn't notice until I posted teh pics up. The marks are on the camera lens, or its just polishing dust I think as the paintwork is coming up really well, although there are a few deep scratches that I'm not comfortable cutting back without a PDG, and a few areas of lacquer peel that I can't do much about. I'll bang up some completed pics when its finished and list what I've used to get there.

After that its dash out time and re-wiring!

Edit; Cheers Alan, its my favourite tool mate! Lots of hard work to get a good finish but its soooo worth it in the end. You should have seen the state of the paintwork in person before I started! I'll expand on that when I do a bit of a write up when its finished. :thumbleft:

Edited by seanl82

I bet it was bad mate i remember when I had my last car done it was unreal the finish that was achived makes them look so much better and shows the true colour

Now finished the bodywork detailing stage, pretty happy with the outcome!

The paint is too far gone in a few places, but at least the polishing removed a few of the scuffs that were mostly made up of paint transfer so not quite as bad in a couple of areas. Electrical and mechanical problems need to be sorted first though, so dash out time and wiring sorted next.

Ok here is what I did, and some photos.

Started off with two hits of APC, rinsing with PW in between as a pre-wash. This was followed by 2BM and rinse with an open ended hose. Shuts and gaps with APC and a small detailing brush. Next it was de-tarred all over twice using AF citrus tar and glue remover, agitated with a damp microfibre. Then Iron-X'd all over, which was amazing how much fallout was on it! Car looked like it was bleeding all over!!! Wheels cleaned with Bilberry, de-tarred and iron-x'd also.

2BM wash again and rinsed. Clayed twice with DJ SN medium clay and Demonshine diluted 50:50 as lube. 2BM washed and rinsed again with an open ended hose.

At this point it was already looking soooo much better! The fact that the last owner lived in the Big Smog really told before! Not an awful lot of tree sap, but tons of grime pulled off with the clay, hence the reason it was done twice!

I then went over the each panel with 3M Fast Cut Plus on a 3M yellow pad, followed by 3M Ultrafina on a 3M Blue pad. This has taken out 90% of the swirls and alot of the RDS's. This has made the paintwork appear quite healthy at last. The pearl looks fantastic and really does shine now! :cool:

It was then washed 2BM, rinsed and dried again, before being given an IPA wipedown to remove polishing oils.

Then treated to two coats of Collinite 476s wax, black plastics done with Carpro Perl, glass cleaned with Rain-x, exhaust polished with Megs NXT metal polysh and 0000 wire wool before being sealed with CG Jetseal 109. I didn't bother sealing the wheels as they're gonna be refirbed in time, but tyres dressed with Megs Tyre Gel.

Some pics, although its pretty overcast so no real reflection shots unfortunately.

20130330_141942_zpsef607e85.jpg

20130330_141933_zpsc21955e0.jpg

20130330_141959_zps48c6a78e.jpg

20130330_142356_zpsb85d5b75.jpg

20130330_142422_zps94777c79.jpg

20130330_142445_zpsd66f4302.jpg

20130330_142551_zpscb915c2d.jpg

20130330_142303_zpsbcf987bd.jpg

20130330_142330_zpsb31cf9c0.jpg

And tucked away undercover until the next time................

20130330_142930_zpsd580a346.jpg

Edited by seanl82

Unbelievable turnaround mate, great to see the car getting the attention it deserves, paint has a nice depth of shine to it again, great work.

Top work mate shame there was no sun out for some nice shots of it in the sun light but it is looking a lot better

Hats off to you Sean! What a turnaround. You really know your products- any tips for removing holograms? I've got a rotary, but not sure which product would be best for this.

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments! Its not so good close up though!!!!! lol

Andy, holograms are much thinner than swirls, so a finishing polish would be best mate. Alternatively if there are a few more marks in your paint, a diminishing abrasive medium grade polish (Scholl S17+ or Menzerna 203s) would also work wonders. The Fast Cut Plus is very harsh and created lots of holograms, but was necessary to remove the oxidisation. That's why I needed to go over with the Ultrafina which is a finishing polish. Ultrafina is amazing stuff, its so easy to work with and leaves a great finish. The downside is that it's quite pricey. I've only been detailing a couple of years tbh, but the pads play a big role in the finish too. The 3M ones are colour coded though so very easy to follow and thats what I use.

Edited by seanl82

Just read this all the way through Sean! Great turnaround! I'm sure when its done it will be awesome :) bit strange with the headlight / engine turning off problem though :/

Looking forward to seeing more updates

Cheers Dave, hopefully it'll be back to a decent standard within the next few months - starting tomorrow.

Been given permission to spend the day on it, so hopefully electrics will be back to some semblance of order. Only had a couple of hours on it on Tuesday, but dash is all out and wiring ready to be attacked!

Also bought a new Matrix from GSF today, I was expecting a Valeo was it? (OE), so bought the Premium one which turned out to be Hella.

No bother, still a reputable company so hopefully should be ok. Will pick up some insulation foam and reflective tape from B&Q in the morning too after seeing EnthusiastOwned post on repair, as half the foam is missing on mine so I'll do it all properly before refitting. More pics tomorrow!

Still not finished!

Got most of the wiring sorted today, although don't really have any phots. (They're boring anyway!)

Took the airbox out and changed the matrix too, although it was valeo vw one with a manufacture date of 12/08 so was obviously pretty recently done. Oh well, changed it out anyway, and sorted the holes in the vents and the draught foam thing as well.

It was all nice and free when I checked it, then put the dash back in, checked it again, and they're stiff as F*** again!

Got fed up, so binned it off and came home. Will deal with it another day.

Just gotta sort the speaker wiring out now then hopefully I'm done.

One last thing, does anyone know if this first pic is right? It looks to be the wiring coming from the OBD port, but it looks like it terminates at this box...............

20130405_140435_zps9c50c67b.jpg

20130405_130037_zpsdd640971.jpg

20130405_110136_zps53643f8a.jpg

20130405_114653_zps20eba3ec.jpg

20130405_140336_zps5408667e.jpg

Thats it for now. Next up is finishing off the wiring, then on to mechanicals.

First off I'm gonna raise it up a bit, sort the brakes and handbrake cable, then change the thermostat and rocker cover, before changing all fluids and filters etc, then turn my attention to making it look good!

Ooooh page two, slacking!

Not really much to update atm either. This has been due to a delivery that arrived last Sunday..............................

Heir to the Corrado wealth, Jacob Ryan. Born 07/04/13 @ 22:27 weighing 6lb 13oz.

20130416_144723_zps7256a324.jpg

As you can imagine, been a little busy, and sleep depraved since! All healthy and good though, and I'm bouncing tbf!

Already have a 5yo girl so that's now family complete, and time for the snip....................:help:

I have managed to make a small order for the car this week though, and all will be delivered tomorrow.

Just oil, filter, sump plug and seal, a new stat, housing, coolant, a handbrake cable, slider pin boots and carrier bolts, and a rocker gasket. Should get me going at least, and I should get a little time this weekend to finish putting the dash back together. I've decided to insure the car and bring it home too. MOT is up at the end of the month, and it seems I'll get far more time to work on it if its on the drive (provided the weather remains fair).

Will update with something decent in the next few days hopefully. :o

Congrats on the new arrival, handsome little fella, seems like only 5 minutes ago my boy Danny was that age cant believe he is 5 in a couple of weeks, scary !!!!!!!

I am sure the mrs wont mind Jacob sitting in the back seat of the car while your putting the dash back in. Teach him Corrado maintanence from an early age that's the best idea.

Cheers guys, much appreciated! He's awsome! Very contented and happy, which helps no end tbh!

Got the car insured today, as its been off the road at work since I got it. Bought it home ready for a good bit of work in the down time between feeds! My order arrived from AVS this morning, so all ready to go.

Will update at the w.end or early next week with some pics and progress though. :cool:

Although tatty, ou got it for a right old bargain. Loving the restoration work you're doing, another Raddo saved is lovely to see. Carry on the good work fella. Can't believe what some previous owners do to their Raddos, those kind of chumps should be in Fords or Astras!!