krishen

New battery needed

Need a new battery as it needs a boost to start the VR if i leave it for a few days.

I remember someone saying VARTA 77AH is the way to go.

But all i can find is this one. Can someone confirm if this is as "good" or which VARTA (or any other brand) you'd recommend.

http://www.battery2u.co.uk/productsearch.aspx

Thanks

I have a Bosch Silver 62AH I think which was £65 from CostCo and comes with a 5 year warranty. Never has any issues cranking the VR even after a few weeks left standing.

I also have the Bosch silver battery, still going well after 3 years with no issues. got mine from halfords on trade.

While this threads fresh sorry for being off topic but for what reason would domeone fit a diesel battery on a vr ? Are they more powerfull and would it cause any damage over a long period of time ?

You would want to fit a larger battery than the standard 062 if you have a larger than normal current draw, eg. if you were running more electrical accessories.

Diesel batteries generally more 'powerfull' as they have a greater power density than the standard 062 VR battery. the only harm that could occur is if you have a greater current draw on the battery than the alternator could supply, possibly causing some circuits to run in a de-rated mode.

Matt

Cheers bud only reason i ask is thats what mine has on it , i only noticed when changing the rad over a few weeks ago when i wipped the battery off the car , i thought it was a bit odd thats all

Ok not sure if I'm 'researching' this battery business too much but how do you tell which battery is more powerful/better?

As in what numbers should I be looking at?

To me they all seem the same except for the number of years guarentee they have.

Ok not sure if I'm 'researching' this battery business too much but how do you tell which battery is more powerful/better?

As in what numbers should I be looking at?

To me they all seem the same except for the number of years guarentee they have.

You need to look at the Ah and the CCA rating. You'll often find 2 apparently equivalent batteries with the same Ah rating have different CCA - higher is better. And as almost everybody else has said, I'd go for Bosch Silver (S5) or maybe the S4 range if it's significantly cheaper.

Need a new battery as it needs a boost to start the VR if i leave it for a few days.

But all i can find is this one. Can someone confirm if this is as "good" or which VARTA (or any other brand) you'd recommend.

Thanks

I bought a bosch S4 from eurocarparts for £52 ish

I bought a bosch S4 from eurocarparts for £52 ish

Thanks

You will be fine with the Varta D15 on that web page Thats the one I have its 63 AH. Iam sure its a bosch equivalent of their S5 range.

Ok i ended up buying the Bosch S5 silver battery. Was going to get the Varta as it seemed to be quite a bit cheaper (£58) but then saw ECP have a decent sale so managed to pick up the Bosch S5 silver for £73. A little bit more that the Varta but at least i got to sort it today instead of having to wait till next week.

Very impressed (although probably would be with any battery as mine was on its last legs).

Anyone know where you dispose of the old battery?

Good choice of battery I think. Battery disposal - you should be able to take it to a household waste recycling centre, a scrapyard (who may even give cash for it) or possibly to ecp as they may be obliged to accept.

But before you replace the battery, make sure that you don't have a dodgy circuit somewhere that's draining it .. otherwise you'll knacker your new one as well.

But before you replace the battery, make sure that you don't have a dodgy circuit somewhere that's draining it .. otherwise you'll knacker your new one as well.

How can i check that? Just running a voltmeter on the battery?

You need to put an ammeter in circuit with the battery and measure the amount of current that the car is drawing when everything is turned off. Many multimeters will have a "10A" mode that would do ok. Just make sure the engine is cold and the fans aren't going to come on or anything like that.