VR6Pete

Removing hand brake plastics

I'm just about to install Daves handbrake tunnel kit, but struggling to even get the plastic off the handbrake. Help :-)

Best to take all of it off. There's a hidden screw underneath the rear ashtray. Think there's also one underneath the handbrake somewhere- you can see it when you lift the handbrake up (I think- been a while since I've removed it all!). The worst bit is getting the handle off the handbrake. There's a kind of little button hidden beneath the leather of the handle, on the underside at the base. You need to release this - best to hold it with a screwdriver and pull the handle off at the same time. You may have to pull it really hard- be careful not to punch through the heater controls when it finally comes loose! :lol: Sometimes they come straight off, sometimes they're an absolute mare...

Another tip is to try and not break it ( good luck with that ! ) as they get brittle and snap, i got one of the last few available and was fleeced for £30 odd quid from the dealer.

Still it is a damn site easier than the tunnel i am trying to remove in the Touran i'm currently playing with :(

The handbrake 'grip' is really the only hard bit, Pete - once you've got that off removing the rest is a 5 minute job tops! Assuming they're not already broken, be careful of the four C shaped mounts at the bottom of the handbrake tunnel which are anchored in place by four screw on plastic 'bolts' - they're VERY brittle and it's easy to over tighten those bolts and break them so the centre tunnel doesn't anchor down properly and ends up rattling round. Bit of a double edged sword as, if you don't tighten them up enough, they come loose too..

Cheers for the tips guys. Those pics are helpful. A job for another day now. Done a full valet, interior out etc... It's looking amazing now.

Assuming they're not already broken, be careful of the four C shaped mounts at the bottom of the handbrake tunnel which are anchored in place by four screw on plastic 'bolts' - they're VERY brittle and it's easy to over tighten those bolts and break them so the centre tunnel doesn't anchor down properly and ends up rattling round. Bit of a double edged sword as, if you don't tighten them up enough, they come loose too..

This is the reason for my tunnel bracket.

I don't know if mine is an earlier one than in the pics but its not one solid grip, it has a groove down the middle underneath on mine so does it still come off the same way?

Dunno if mine is broken or not. Can't say I've noticed anything. I seem to be able to get the tunnel off with the handle still on. Its involves a bit of careful bending. Will probably break it next time now.

These clips, am I suppose to push them in or prise them away from the hand break? I've tried both and still not coming off :)

I just slide a small screwdriver under the top one. And lever it up and down while wiggling the handle.

Ill try that buddy, just worried about marking the plastic around the lever. It's the only interior job left to do now and it's annoying wiggling all over the place.

Quick question (sorry to hijack the thread) but i fitted my trim back the other day and the handbrake lever keeps catching on the inner tunnel. I did try to position before fitting but it seems as though my handbrake lever is actually slightly slanted towards the drivers side :-(

Any ideas what i've done wrong?

Mine does it too, but I had put it down to the botched welding that was done......................

Quick question (sorry to hijack the thread) but i fitted my trim back the other day and the handbrake lever keeps catching on the inner tunnel. I did try to position before fitting but it seems as though my handbrake lever is actually slightly slanted towards the drivers side :-(

Any ideas what i've done wrong?

It's a combo of a) poorly designed floor mounting, b) pulling it to one side in normal use. I'd say a left hand drive car suffers less because of the bracket design.

It doesn't feel good when you pull up the handbrake, feels like its just going to come off in my hand !

Pete, how does it sit with console off looks wrong to me the way it in the picture and your console doesn't seem to be fitted correctly.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Also check that the 2 bolts underneath are tight, and the bracket is not bent.

Pete, how does it sit with console off looks wrong to me the way it in the picture and your console doesn't seem to be fitted correctly.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

Also check that the 2 bolts underneath are tight, and the bracket is not bent.

This is the reason I'm taking it off so I can fit Daves kit :)

No because I can't get the bloody handle off the damn thing lol.

Gonna get the handle retrimed while its off.

What you need to do is, pull the plastic cover a little to the back first.

Then you should be able to see a small tab on the leather handle, just push the tap up and pull the leather handle off.

You can then remove the plastic cover off in the direction, its a sort of one piece item with a hole going through it. You might have to squash it with you hands to make the opening bigger.

Well this is how it is on my G60, not sure if its different on the later models cant see it me self.