DavyDave

Ny VR6 stolen, and recovered

Diesel -- good luck in your VR hunt. I see that your old beaut was the same colour as mine -- so sorry you're driving a box instead of the sleek machine.

hang in there!

ha ha, Actually The golf has gone and am now over here and have a bmw 318 as need something sensible to help my elderly dad. I will get a vr6 this year the prices are only going to go up. Good luck with yours mate!

UPDATE!

Well I finally got my VR6 back this afternoon! What a nightmare.

The guys at the compound kindly pushed it onto the road, in case I wanted to call the RAC!

Managed to hotwire it started, using the wires the thieved so considerately left dangling beneath the cracked ignition barrel

Unfortuately went 10 yards then the Steering lock kicked in! Thank god I wasn't going at any speed.

As I didn't really fancy driving it with a screwdriver jammed in what was left of the ignition, I called the RAC, not realy expecting them to help!

I was hoping they would just tow/recover it the 5 miles to my garage...

Instead the helpful guy decided to remove the steering lock mechanism...

Which meant hammering out the locking pins, which also meant he had to remove the whole steering wheel, etc... and finally leave me without the indicatoe, washer stalks!

Which meant he had to follow me all the way to the garage anyway.

Ho hum!

PIC!

Edited by DavyDave

Ooops, I forgot to get the steering lock off my shelf for you... :oops: I'll get it for you today and PM you about getting it to you... basically, it's the whole metal bit that you've got in your photo, with a new lock barrel and key that haven't ever been put together so it is really easy to fit... :)

You'll need a switch though, although looking at that pic, you may well be able to use your existing switch as it appears to be intact... you'll just need to undo the small cross head screw that holds it in, and then get the wiring repaired... :)

Should make for an easy repair on that bit anyway... 8)

DavyDave: I've got a complete adjustable column plus the surround going spare - yours for nowt if you want it. Whereabouts are you?

[edit: or accept Henny's offer! Don't mind either way, just drop me a PM if you want it.]

Edited by Stonejag
  • Like 1

No probs Henny, the garage guy/Corrado enthusiast mate fitting it is away all week, (working on his houseboat) so the car is safely locked up in his yard.

When you say "switch" not too sure what you mean?

Look forward to you email. I can meet in Manchester anywhere that's convenient, just let me know what's best for you!

cheers mate, dave

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73731[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]73732[/ATTACH]

at the back of the steering lock (the metal bit on your seat), there is a yellow/cream/whiteish coloured plastic bit... this is the actual electrical ignition switch. It's held into the metal part with a single small screw, and has metal spade style terminals sticking out of it which connect to a multi-plug which those wires hanging down used to connect to... The key barrel has a long "blade" that sticks down the shaft into the switch, which turns the switch when you turn the key. :)

Somewhere in your car there should be a round (I think it's black) plastic connector which will need to be re-attached to the wiring to connect to the switch and put it back to its original state... :)

Had a good look for the lock mechanism and barrel last night and can't find it anywhere... :oops:

I know I've not sold it yet, so it's probably in my garage somewhere, so I'll have another look over the next couple of days, but it may be worth your while taking StoneJag up on his offer so you don't get stuck without the parts you need to fix your car...

Sorry... I'll keep looking and let you know if I find it... :(

UPDATE 2

Get this.. I've just received a NOTIFICATION TO PROSECUTE from Greater Manchester Police.

Apparently my VR6 was clocked doing 84mph in a 30 zone the day before it was recovered. At 1.04 am.

You would think records would be syncronized so that it was flagged as stolen?

But you would be wrong.

Tried to call the "ticket office" -- yes, they call it that!

But they don't work after 1pm!

You could not make it up could you ?!!! . What a joke , you would have thought with there super up to date system they are always banging on about on tv ,that they would know . Im sure they will see sense when you present them with crime log and stuff .

UPDATE 2

Get this.. I've just received a NOTIFICATION TO PROSECUTE from Greater Manchester Police.

Apparently my VR6 was clocked doing 84mph in a 30 zone the day before it was recovered. At 1.04 am.

But you would be wrong.

This is utterly unbelievable. I despair sometimes..... i really do. Drop yourself by the nearest

police station with your original Case number. Maybe the local plod can sort it for you.

Edited by VR-Sixy

Robrado974

Crazy or what?

Just a pain. The form sent DEMANDS that if not the driver I MUST provide the name/address of driver.

There's no section for STOLEN!!!! M'Lud!

Hi Davy, Just an update, i still haven't posted the steering cowl surround thing.

I keep meaning to do it, but just haven't managed it yet.

GENERAL THANKS

Guys and Gals (God, that's sounds sooooo Jimmy Savile)

Just want to thank you all for your kind words and support following the assault and battery on my VR6.

Also your generosity.

Henny, Stonejag and Jim in particuar who even offered me replacement parts they had, and wanted no payment.

dave

---------- Post added at 10:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

No worries Jim.

Just do it when you get the chance. I'll paypal you the postage.

Hi Jim

Stonejag's steering column has just arrived.

Also inside was this.

I believe that's what you were going to send? In which case, I already got one now.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]73861[/ATTACH]

that's only the bottom half... if they've smashed it off, the odds are that you'll need the top bit too! My advice would be to take up Jim Bowen's offer, and then if it's not required, you can pass it on to the next poor soul who needs one (or send it back!)... :)

Ooops!

Thanks for the tip Henny. I'm hoping to get around the garage today to take the stuff over and get a list of what I still need.

No probs Jim.

I'll paypal your postage. If I don't need, I'll pass it on to someone who needs it like you did for me.

UPDATE 2

But you would be wrong.

Did you get this sorted matey?