wafers

VR6 missing ...

Not directly 'Rado related, but thought I'd ask as it's a friendly place and could potentially be a well known problem?

My current daily is a mk2 Golf with an OBD2 2.8 vr6 conversion. The car's been in storage since for about 9 months, but I pressed it into daily service a couple of weeks ago.

Latterly, the engine is missing at tickover, and when I hold the throttle halfway (or in other positions!) I can feel it missing as well. Basically it ain't totally happy and it seems to be getting worse.

Any obvious suggestions aside from leads and plugs?

Possible coilpack.. If you know someone near who has one it may be worth swapping it over to see how it behaves..

OR if you cant get a spare unplug the leads in turn while its running..... listen for changes in tone. plastic handled grips and a rubber glove should stop you getting a belt. mine had a miss when I rebuilt it, turned out to be an injector but if yours has been sat with fuel in the rail its more likely to be spark.

Almost certainly coilpack, but worth checking the MAF as well. I've had some properly weird symptoms from loose/dying connections, it's most common in cars with cone filters fitted (now or in the past) as they're usually not supported well enough and the MAF flaps around at the end of the throttle elbow under acceleration. Replaced the connector and covered it in loom tape and it went away forever :)

Stone

Cheers all. Is there a guide on coilpacks on here? It's all new to me... My previous corrados over the years were both valvers. Since my engine is a later VR, isn't it just one coilpack block as such, therefore the whole thing would need replacement if faulty? 'Scuse my ignorance!

(On an aside, is it bad of me to continue to lust after a storm grey metallic Corrado Vr6, even though I absolutely love my mk2 to bits, and enjoy the endless positive attention it receives?! :))

Also have a look at the 42 pin connector beside the coilpack, check the condition of the wires going in/out and the pins themselves, may have some corrosion.

Coilpacks are replaced as a block, yes. It's worth removing it for inspection though - when the coils go the casing splits open (it's filled with expanding foam) so water can get in and short the spark to the block. Once they start to go you can slow their decline by sealing all the cracks with epoxy resin, but complete failure is fairly inevitable. Off-brand ones are £100ish from GSF, more for ones made by the OEM supplier Beru.

Stone

Fine mist spray of water on the coil pack when it's dark and its likely you'll see some blue sparks. I had a slight miss a while ago and went through a massive puddle, car started running like a dog, popped the bonnet and it was like a fireworks display on the coil pack :)

I see I never updated this... I ended up spraying a fine mist of oil over the outside of the coilpack and it was arcing like some sort of rave illumination. Needless to say, a new one is needed!