STU175

Speedo working intermittently, possible causes?

my speedo has started working intermittently?

i will be driving along and will be fine one minute then go down to 0 the next.

i have taken the speedo drive out of the gearbox and looks fine.

is it likely to be the electrical part that sits on top of the speedo drive or something dash end?

thanks stu

Does it start working straight after it goes to 0? Mines glitches out and so I've been told it's because its had new clocks fitted and the mileage has been, which makes sense to me as the guy I bought mine off had new clocks fitted and paperok osay the mileage was adjusted

Could well be the sensor on the gearbox if the wiring looks ok - these are around £20 from VW

that was my thinking too have to get one on order

Mine is intermittant in the wet or cold. It won't work for the first half mile or so then kicks in fine for the rest of the day. When i looked at the sensor on top if the gearbox it was very loose so i tightened it up hoping it would be that simple. Didn't work but i think the cold/water/ice has killed it. I will get a new one and change it at some point but now its warmer and drier it seems fine. Had to chop a spanner up to get at it though as its in an awkward place!!

And as i write this i have just thought, i have a gearbox in my garage and one on my breaker to rob the part from......... what a numpty!