holeinmk1

Tom's '93 Bordeaux Pearl 24V VR6 ''Project Pearl''

Well thought i had better start a new thread for this one. I thought i was getting this;

558992_10151395955976645_653259999_n.jpg

and in fact i got this;

DSC08452.jpg

The car sadly had a distinct whiff of neglect about it (or was that mouldy carpet i could smell?) which left me feeling a bit underwhelmed, it was hardly love at first sight, nonetheless being the good little ebayer that i am i handed over my hard earned dough for this unloved Corrado.

Mechanically the car feels bang on, starts on the button, stops well and goes like stink. First gear is a bit tricky from time to time but i can forgive that as i can the slow oil leak from the sump.

DSC08445.jpg

However the lack of spoiler action has really wound me up especially as i was told it was working, but i think that meant button only as it does'nt work at speed.(not going to affect the operation of the car i know but its one of the best bits about Corrado ownership!).

DSC08451.jpg

There was also the incredible collapsing centre console which is more akin to Buckaroo than the usual well built vw-ness i am used to. the centre console then decided that it no longer wanted to hold the heater facia or fag lighter half way along the m6 when we attempted to put the heater on to warm up a bit. The ashtray then revealed its hoard of assorted nuts bolts and screws, which was promptly joined by the rear ashtray chapter and glove box chapter of the nuts bolts and screws club joining in. needless to say i spent some of today trying to find where most of said nuts bolts and screws have come from.

DSC08450.jpg

I can only assume that the heater matrix was replaced at some point and the dash was hastly put back. however i would'nt know that as half my service history is for a now defunct honda crx:scratch:

There was also the case of the faulty speedo clocks. temp and fuel appear to be working thats it though.

DSC08449-1.jpg

Anyway, this is my Project now so its time to put my stamp on it and make it mine. first things first; the bloody awful debadged grille/eyebrow spolier combo. Before;

DSC08444.jpg

After;

DSC08453.jpg

Ah, thats much much better :thumbleft:

next job was to attempt to get some sort of structural integrity back into that centre console. amazing what you can do with some washers and cable ties.

Before;

DSC08450.jpg

After;(ok so not a massive improvement but its not going to fall all over the place now)

DSC08463.jpg

next job was to clean the filthy interior. I do not think in 9 years of driving i have ever bought a car with out mats, there a first time for everything though and you only live once, but whoever thought cream carpets + no mats = good idea, was wrong.

eurgh;

DSC08447-1.jpg

much better;(note magic tree(forest fresh) to get rid of smell of neglect)

DSC08462.jpg

Lastly(my favourite bit) was a bloody good wash, polish and wax. i could tell when we got caught in the rain on the way home that the car had not been polished for some time and the paintwork had gone porous.

DSC08472-1.jpg

DSC08458.jpg

DSC08461.jpg

This thread is'nt intended as a dig to the previous owner/s, just expected it to be clean and not have so many little issues that were'nt mentioned. apart from the speedo which i was told last minute about.

Now the car is clean i feel i can actually enjoy it. Watch this space as i have plans for this one and as mentioned will be putting my stamp on it. in the meantime i'm going to enjoy a spot of 24v v6 goodness.

Tom

Good to see your cracking on. Thats always the problem with buying a modifed car from someone you dont really know. Thier perception of what is okay is possibly not another persons. That the reason when I bought my current one it was completely stock and had not been mucked about with.

If you mean 1st gear is difficlut to be smooth with thats a trait of the pedal / engine set up.

It's there or there abouts so it's a solid base to work from. It does explain why the car took some time to sell but it's got the makings of something fantastic!

Good stuff! I'm happy to buy a dirty car though, its a good bargaining chip and easily sorted with a little effort!

I was really tempted by this one tbh, I was watching it on ebay and if I had just a little more in my budget, I would have bid for it!

Glad to see your cracking on though mate. :thumbleft:

Really glad to see the car in the hands of someone who is going to look after it. Amazing how much difference a few hours work can make! Sounds like you have many plans for this one, so I'll be keeping an eye on this thread. Good work!

Also, I laughed at your wonderful description of the collapsing centre console... in sympathy rather than nastiness, because my car occasionally spits a screw from god knows where and I invariably find it roaming the passenger footwell. A few have taken temporary residence in the ashtray when I haven't had time to work out where they should live!

If you need another ashtray for the console I have a spare one Tom, assuming it is that and not the console itself that is making it sit askew?

Ian.

The exterior was'nt that dirty when i got it, but the journey back made it filthy. the interior was however. i had planned to clean and feed my seats today but ended up making a start painting my house instead ha ha.

No the car itself is 'there abouts'. there are a few issues which i want to sort, like, whilst attempting to rescue the dash i noticed the variety of scotchlocks and crimp on electrical connections underneath the dash - another job earmarked for the future. Its a damn good base and i am proud of it now its clean and shiny. one day it will something truly special though.

Thanks for the offer of the ashtray Gloster ox but its the actual main structure that has broken in several places.

​Tom

Well, finally got round to doing the seats. again its not a massive change i think they look miles better and the leather smell when you open the door is now fantastic! :afro:

so much so i have relegated the magic tree to the golf.

No before pics this time but here you are;

DSC08735.jpg

DSC08734.jpg

Ordered a few goodies and hopefully should be getting some new clocks sorted asap.

​Tom

Nice progress...I would definately take the carpet out and give it a good wash. It will really freshen the interior up.

Was that the steering wheel it came with? Look strange an early wheel inside a late (and clean) interior!

Cheers chaps. carpets are on the list! ha ha

yeah the wheel came with it. its leather covered which i think was an optional g60 extra? going up for sale soon to wheel.

​Tom

I was going to buy this and strip it and put the 24v in mine. But decided I couldn't be that mean to a corrado.

Atleast you have a nice base car to start from and judgeing by the sale price i saw on the ebay advert you got a nice deal out of it,

I was going to buy this and strip it and put the 24v in mine. But decided I couldn't be that mean to a corrado.

how do you sleep at night?! shame on you ! :)

Atleast you have a nice base car to start from and judgeing by the sale price i saw on the ebay advert you got a nice deal out of it,

how do you sleep at night?! shame on you ! :)

Yes this is true. like i said i just expected there not to be so many little faults with it, but they are just that, little faults and niggles. Its beginning to feel like mine now so happy days ha ha!

how dare you think such things! get your own 24v! :shock:

Well after enjoying the sunshine and having a bbq my little girl asked this evening if we could go for a drive in the Corrado.

So out came the C from the garage(after a jump start from the Golf lol :ignore:) and off we went.

Did'nt go to far but far enough to enjoy the setting sun and get rather a few glances from passing motorists and pedestrians.

Stopped off at my mum and dads house on the way home as my dad had'nt seen the C yet but had asked about it.

Normally my dad is'nt interested in my cars, but he seems fair taken with this one, even going as far as saying he was jealous! :smug:

Still plenty to do but riding a bit of a chufty high at the minute.

​Tom

As mentioned on a previous post i had ordered some goodies, well today was a bumper day for deliveries :dance:, First off the postman bought me some lights.

Before;

DSC08961.jpg

After;

DSC08962.jpg

DSC08963.jpg

Probably the cheapest mod you can do on a Corrado!

Then a courier turned up with these.

Before;

DSC08446.jpg

After;

DSC08953.jpg

DSC08952.jpg

DSC08954.jpg

Really happy with the look of these

Next another courier turned up! With this;

DSC08955.jpg

So nice to have a functioning speedo! everything works except mpg meter and the new mileage is fairly close(estimated) to the engines mileage.

DSC08957.jpg

The old clocks pretty much fell apart as soon as i removed them, theres a fair few screws missing too. ah well. No more road angel lol :thumbleft:

DSC08958.jpg

The best bit about replacing the clocks however, was now the spoiler module had a speed to reference off, so at 45mph, guess what, the spoiler worked! :cheers::cheers::cheers::dance:

After getting home from a bit of a drive in to Mancunia i decided to dig out my all red rear lights i had left over from my first Corrado. on they went;

Before;

DSC08471.jpg

After;

DSC08959.jpg

DSC08960.jpg

I think Pearls shaping fair well lol. Sorted the drunken steering wheel to:cool:

Drive out in the sunshine + mods = a very good day.

Tom

I have to admit i was unsure as to wether a dark red car could pull off bright lights but yes, yes it does. Cheers Buddy! :cool:

Its been bugging me since i got the car not having mats. just feels right having them and the interior looks a bit more complete : )

Well had a bit of an issue with the car not starting. thought it was the battery, then the earthing points, then checked out the fusebox for anything a miss,

turned out to be a £4.50 battery terminal.

All sorted and back on the road.

My wife correctly diagnosed it and i ignored her.

humble pie well and truly eaten. lol

good to back on the road:cheers:

​Tom

So after a almost 2 year slumber in the garage, Pearl is going back on the road. I took the c off the road due to numerous starting issues and am now working my way through them. First big job is to re-relocate the battery back to the engine bay. Pics and update soon.

Tom

Hello folks, is this thing still alive? I put the engine in this, fitted the 288's, painted those wheels, fitted the suspension, sunroof etc etc etc... then sold it to a mate of mine, who promptly spent £0 on it and as you say, left it a little unloved. I'm glad to see FWK has made it back into the hands of an enthusiast.

A couple of images of her under my ownership:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83230[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83231[/ATTACH]

Hello folks, is this thing still alive? I put the engine in this, fitted the 288's, painted those wheels, fitted the suspension, sunroof etc etc etc... then sold it to a mate of mine, who promptly spent £0 on it and as you say, left it a little unloved. I'm glad to see FWK has made it back into the hands of an enthusiast.

A couple of images of her under my ownership:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83230[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]83231[/ATTACH]

Ah, i do miss this car. Sadly i no longer own it. i sold her after 2 years to a guy in Wigan, far as i know he has now parted with it too. she was a brilliant car and is still missed. she does have m.o.t and is road legal according to dvla website so yes she is alive.

Tom