Sign in to follow this  
paulg60

1 day before inters and this happens HELP

i have spoted a leak from my steering rack :mad: coming from the passanger side rubber gaiter. does this mean new rack :( :( or is it worth just replacing the seals. how much is a new rack going to set me back? will it be ok to go inters in?

man i know what your feeling i use to race 1/10th RC cars and a day b4 something went wrong LOL or just b4 the race LOL...

i hope you get it sorted.

Stealth have used the G&S racks and not had any problems with them. £229. They're about £340+VAT from VW :shock:

If it's leaking, chances are the rack is shot..... if you're taking it off to replace the seals, you may aswell replace the whole lot and be done with it. But that's just the Haywire way of doing things :lol:

i got a used rack for £50 if it will get ya to inters ill be at the work shop from 6.am if you need it

I have a leaky steering rack, but mine is leaking from the centre joint (non serviceable i think) - think it might have had a jolt to one of the wheels in the past and foooked it. After ringing round a load of places for advice on seal replacement, I have been told that replacing the seals generally tends to solve the problem for a few months and then the leak usually starts again. New rack it is then!

I bought one off ebay for £40, but i'm a bit worried about it, cos a) only been "told" it's not a leaky one, and b) it says USA on the bottom of it, althought it does look exactly the same as mine (not left hand drive!) so i'm confused. I slowed the leak with epoxy resin, but gonna get under there and properly sort it - maybe get a new rack down the line when i can afford it!

So my advice (for what it's worth!) is to replace the whole rack!

man i know what your feeling i use to race 1/10th RC cars and a day b4 something went wrong LOL or just b4 the race LOL...

i hope you get it sorted.

What you use to race mate?

I race in the BRCA regional / nationals comps with 1/10th off road.

Scott.