J.C

2.9 vs R32 MPG

Hi all

I'm thinking of going the R32 route and was wondering how it compares to the stock 2.9 lump in regards to fuel effiency,

I know you don't buy a (any)VR6 for it's effiency, I guess I'm hoping they will be around the same,

if anyone has real world experience of the two, that would be great

cheers

Steve

I don't have the r32 but have the 4motion 24v engine. And I havnt noticed much change on fuel consumption. Got 300 miles out of a tank on the way to and from Brooklands for the national day. Can't say we were hanging around either whilst in convoy ;)

R32 as in transplanted into a Corrado?

Best I ever got out of my standard 2.9 was 33mpg. My R32 conversion after Stealth remapped it was also 33. Both when driven gently with early upshifts.

R32s generally get a bad press for their mpg when in the MK4/MK5 as they're heavy cars. But in a lighter Corrado, they can be just as economical as the 2.9. And yes, if mpg is important, don't bother with ANY of the V6s as they're only economical if driven very gently. If you want reasonable economy with good performance, consider a TFSI conversion instead :D

Lol, yeah :D Even easier to do in the MK4 platform ;)

I'd love a TT RS engine conversion but I don't think enough of them will get sold and then crashed for our vulturing pleasure!

interesting.... actually makes my A6's 19.5mpg average seem reasonable (and that's on Petrol, LPG sees a cost equivalent of about 35mpg!)... 8)

If I get another Corrado at any point in the future, it's gonna have to have a TFSI engine in it... the 2.0 one in my missus' A3 cabrio is lovely and would fit in with the character of a 'rado beautifully... I'd bet the TTRS engine would be an absolute hoot in a lightweight car like a 'rado though! 8)

I'm not sure it would fit between the chassis legs of a Corrado!

Which one?

The 5 cylinder TTRS will fit in a Corrado with a slight notching of the drivers chassis leg... it's only a tiny bit longer than the VR6 engine, and has been done in the US...

The 4.2 V8 out of my A6 will fit, but needs some fairly heavy mods to the firewall and tunnel to get a gearbox in, and then needs a custom rear axle to make it rear wheel drive... (Yes, I looked into both before I sold my Corrado!!! ;) )

I have noticed my 24v is better on long journeys than the vr golf, but the 24v is more thirsty around town, but equally feels'raring to go' alot more than the vr.

Best fuel economy out of the golf vr however was 37mpg@approx 55mph.

​Always thought the later v6's had better fuel economy?

The R32 engine is more thirsty than the VR6. That's not to say that it can't achieve decent mpg though. I get 300 miles to a tank regularly in mine and that's doing around 12 miles a day to work and back. On a run to the South West recently I managed to get 360 to a tank not too shabby. I do drive like a vicar though on most occasions but when you do give it some stick then the pick up from low down is fantastic. Got to say that the VR6 sounds so much better than the R32! I do miss that when you reach 4000 rpm and the noise.

Alan

I average 350 to a tank from my MK4. Did the chains on it last week and as a few other MK4 owners have discovered, mine was timed a tooth out at the factory, which may or may not affect the economy but correcting the timing certainly made it smoother and punchier!