dalhalvaig

Rusting a-pillar at windscreen mount - Advice needed

I've a cracked windscreen. Prior to getting it changed I had a look at the condition of the body round the screen behind the seal. The NS A-pillar looks good, there's a bit of rust (NS and OS) where the roof channels meet the screen, qbut the OS A-pillar has some nasty rust including a couple of holes right through. The exposed outer is OK and inside behind the A-pillar trim is good too.

I'm sure this won't be the first time this has happened. So I'm looking for some advice on how to repair it. I'm looking at it being repaired by a bodyshop as I realise it will need some welding.

Can you get any replacement panels? Is it straightforward to cut out the rusted parts, cut some new steel and weld it in?

I'm thinking of repairing even although it will cost a lot compared to the value of the car, but it's probably less than the depreciation on a new car.

Any comments or advice received.

I had mine done , the pillars were £60 a side from Vw , not sure if they still have them , it's not something that gets replaced everyday , so you should be ok

Rob

I had a couple of sections cut out and replaced on my Nugget due to this too, a fairly straight forward task for a good bodyshop.

Mine were replaced around 18 months , two years ago ? . Even if out of stock like Paul says a good body shop will be able to sort it for you .

Thanks, I'll try the local VW dealer and see if they have parts or can get them. The body shop I'm talking to contacted their supplier, but they could get any. 18 months is not that long ago, so hopefully...

Also how do you figure out if VW classic/heritage has parts?

I'll get some picks up but TBH it's quite hard to see as the screen is still in place.

Woah yep, that definitely needs replacing. If you can't get genuine panels a bit chopped out of a breaker will do the job.

Rob - I contacted the local VW dealer today and they say that the part was discontinued in 2011, so looks like you got the last of them. The guy reckoned that the part run from the sill, up past the door hinges, up the A-Pillar, then along the roof. Is this the part you used, or did you get a part panel? Anyway VW don't seem to have any unless someone has one squirreled away. A pity as they were £86 inc vat. I'll wait to see what the body shop come up with.

That's a bummer , as far as I'm aware they just got the pillars ? . Have to see what the body shop or chaos can come up with then .

Hi all

First of apologies for no update...but it is now all fixed. I went to these guys

M-Teq Body Repairs in Alexandria, west of Glasgow.

http://www.m-teqbodyrepairs.co.uk/

They were recommended by a friend and I'm pleased with the work they did. Oliver (Ollie) Murray runs the place, has a great attitude and is into his VWs and Audis which helps a lot.

They cut out the corroded metal and welded in new steel. Then painted. And I used FGA for the windscreen. They work with M-Teq and were happy to do the double trip - screen removal and then back for refit after repair. Again very helpful.

So thanks for the offer of parts etc, but now sorted.

Cheers

D

Good to hear its sorted mate, we'll need to meet up at some point.......would like to find out rough costings for a job like this :)