Timbo

94 LA9V VR6 - New cylinder head and SP263 cams

I've been around for ages, but never made a thread for my car. Here it is!

(It might be easier to view the pictures on imgur.com).

In 2010 thieving *******s stole my car and messed up the fuel filler (I blame them for the rust too ;)):

o5bNl42m.jpg

Oh dear:

i2zUcUTm.jpg gSf72x5m.jpg

Pizza box template:

JDXCycQm.jpg eMXK7Gum.jpg

Cutty, bendy, hammery, weldy, grindy:

v69coJsm.jpg CgTJt7Jm.jpg qhyu2WMm.jpg Jj1MWbRm.jpg LTpcHnym.jpg UCEuXlem.jpg 56jRzxhm.jpg n7t1SPQm.jpg

Chopping it up so it fits:

RmI35t8m.jpg FbHvCQ1m.jpg

Welding it in:

ATzawHzm.jpg vfAB8G7m.jpg r4dLbIwm.jpg oc5ciUgm.jpg

Edited by Timbo

More welding:

vRlrZtEm.jpg HPfuuyMm.jpg UYvLC8Ym.jpg

The scary bit:

xm6vMXGm.jpg pvaCrPIm.jpg

Convincing the donor panel to fit:

gUIyACam.jpg K3sn6Gym.jpg dcC0OrWm.jpg

It got too wet and windy to weld outside, so I put a tent over my car :D:

PwazY6Gm.jpg

Fuel filler mechanism upgrade:

VdewNdlm.jpg

Primer and welding (I found a use for the stupid big welding clamp I didn't think I'd use):

2XUvI9Fm.jpg 8MjjUN8m.jpg Ddh16LXm.jpg vN3KUKwm.jpg nLhL0MMm.jpg 9HKAUfHm.jpg AY5Qcy5m.jpg 3AyO9KRm.jpg

Still a bit crooked, but nothing a skim of filler won't sort:

Vtq1TE5m.jpg

Edited by Timbo

Got some etch primer on it to stop it rusting before the paint stripping began:

TXEOiFgm.jpg

Tail gate number plate light repair:

3ElNllCm.jpg Bsz7m3um.jpg PGl578tm.jpg V8eYlsxm.jpg RFch0Rqm.jpg noRNwDom.jpg rkk1vmSm.jpg HuG5WVnm.jpg ikH7dEkm.jpg v34xUACm.jpg TZRBocDm.jpg 6ZVEgHem.jpg

Paint stripping (also, tiny weld penis):

A9FKh6km.jpg lOLODH7m.jpg HjbfXOrm.jpg cIm8nDGm.jpg TQ0FFfHm.jpg

Filler:

LEhewUYm.jpg 2JlEDjTm.jpg

Edited by Timbo

I didn't take many pictures around this time as I was getting pretty ****ed off with the whole thing; especially when I uncovered this:

qsNYh4Hm.jpg

Some time later, when the shell came back from the body shop:

r58PL9rm.jpg

I made a new fuel filler lock thing out of stainless:

q3X8JiRm.jpg

Starting to look like a car again:

CLQU8Zem.jpg 44nYvDXm.jpg

Woo, all back together:

2DkUAwtm.jpg stX2qtFm.jpg

My advice: if you're thinking about respraying a car. Just. Say. No. Having said that, it looks pretty nice now :D.

Edited by Timbo

Great skills with the fabrication and welding there!! I wish I'd had access to pics like that when fixing my fuel filler.

Thanks! I always wanted to learn how to weld and this was a good project for that. Also, I made the thumbnails a bit bigger.

Great skills with the fabrication and welding there!! I wish I'd had access to pics like that when fixing my fuel filler.

I just looked at your thread. That filler is a bar steward huh? All the Corrados I've seen have the same thing. I think it's basically just a lack of sealer around the wee plastic grommets that the filler lock cover screws into. Having said that, it's a nice little mud trap up behind the filler neck. I've had thoughts about fabbing up a panel that would sit over the filler neck to deflect all the crap that gets flicked up there. i.e a sort of minimal arch liner for that side only that mounted using the fuel tank neck bolts. The design would be pretty critical though as you risk just making the problem worse if it didn't drain properly.

So I finally got around to fitting my 312mm brakes. I'm pretty pleased; the pedal is still nice and solid and the extra stopping power only really comes in when you stand on them. I was a little concerned they'd be annoyingly strong. I also fabbed up some splash guards out of stainless sheet. I tried to make them resemble the OEM splash guards to some extent:

Pf8xqepm.jpg 0Rp3WxEm.jpg

yep they'll all get this at some stage, ticking time bomb for most owners. you really did a great job with those panels, makes my efforts looks proper agricultural!

Great work indeed...............When will i drop my car off? :lol:

Right after I finish mine? Probably about 2017...

I couldn't tell you to be honest. I did all the welding, filling and prep, but left the painting to somebody who knows what they're doing. I assume it's some kind of Schutz spray, but I don't know exactly what...

Yep, that job. It's pretty satisfying to get it done. I might be imagining it but it feels like I've recovered a bit of power, is that possible? I guess the chains could potentially stretch enough to put the timing out. I also changed the clutch since the old one had a good soaking in brake fluid when my slave cylinder failed. Perhaps it was slipping under power? Anyway, pretty pleased to have a nice quiet engine.

nvGZHQOm.jpg 8juYcNqm.jpg

awesome work timbo ;)

going back to your bodywork, what did you use for the sills to give them the texture?
upol gravitex , you need to apply it using a stone chip gun via air compressor at around 50psi
  • Like 1

upol gravitex , you need to apply it using a stone chip gun via air compressor at around 50psi

Thanks, gonna need some of this soon