happyeaster

corrado headlights are useless

i have been using my corrado a lot at night and the lights are terrible. i drive with full beam on most of the the time and it is still not great. seen a few people say use 100w bulbs i know this is not legal but are they much better?

As long as the reflectors are good and the lights are clean then the 3 things that make a difference are -

Lenses - replace if pitted

Bulbs - use decent 'uprated' 55W bulks like Osram NightBreakers

Loom - fit an uprated loom but make sure you get a good quality one.

---------- Post added at 1:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:26 PM ----------

As long as the reflectors are good and the lights are clean then the 3 things that make a difference are -

Lenses - replace if pitted

Bulbs - use decent 'uprated' 55W bulks like Osram NightBreakers

Loom - fit an uprated loom but make sure you get a good quality one.

Get an upgraded headlight loom - there's plenty of info on them here and you can buy them on ebay, or one of the forum members here also supplies them. Older VW/Audi cars all have this problem, as the looms are too long and the current passes through the headlight switch, resulting in a voltage drop at the lights. Upgraded "rally" bulbs can melt your lights, so stay away from them, although some of the premium bulbs will give you more output. Fitting a loom will also reduce the load on the switch - they take their feed directly from the battery and use at least two relays.

That and the lupo/TT wiper conversion are probably the two most popular mods around.

dont use the ultra white 100w bulbs, they heat up the lenses so much a slight stone cracks your lenses. Also use the above link to make your own loom, its really easy

get yourself n uprated loom from KUR2Y on here - the difference is night & day ;)

[forgive the pun]

dont use the ultra white 100w bulbs, they heat up the lenses so much a slight stone cracks your lenses. Also use the above link to make your own loom, its really easy

That's good to know, I was thinking of using 80/100 bulbs as an easy fix

Hello!

I was completly blind through winter and now the car has failed the Mot due to the deterioration of the headlamps.

I need to replace them, anyone reccommend where to get some. Do I need brand new, how would I tell the condition if I brought old?

I have brought a loom tho :0 but no point putting it on!

Any advice always appreciated

Stella

Stella,

You will find second hand ones in the parts for sale or Cars for Breaking sections on here, but be aware that there are 2 types, "early" and "late" dependent on the age of your car.

When looking at them , check that the reflectors , (the mirror surface inside the unit), are not corroded and that the glass front lenses are not chipped or frosted. You can get new lenses still I think, separately from the units. These can be fitted with a bit of patience.

First things first, though. Check the input voltage at the connector to the bulbs; if it has dropped to below about 11 volts with the engine running, the wiring has become old and a direct feed via the relayed loom will probably sort the problem out

the best solution by far is retrofiting projectors with hid ballasts in the existing reflectors, the light quality intensity and spread is awesome. The stock reflectors arent good enough, although the uprated loom does help, adding 100w bulbs will kill the reflectors and fade them quickly.