alimac81

vr6 front, upper spring seats

Got some new suspension the other day from Monroe, and they sent me springs for the early vr6's and mine is a late vr, so the upper seats are incorrect. They are trying to source the correct springs for me, but until then I need to get some older upper spring seats. Does anyone know any good part numbers? and if the same parts were fitted to other models (such as mk2 golfs, mk3 golfs)

cheers

Ali

Be very careful - I've had exactly the same issue with mine - 1995 VR, with small spring plates which are not very deep at all. I have just bought some Weitec GT shocks and springs, and the springs are too wide for the spring plates, which if I used them would fall inside the spring.Having read up on this forum I thought I needed some early VR spring plates, which are a lot wider and would fit the springs. They do indeed fit, but the problem is they are too deep compared with the original ones, so what starts out as a 40mm drop becomes less than half that due to the depth of the early spring plates. One option is to buy some narrow springs like PI at around £109!! Needless to say I'm not going to do that, so will be cutting the top off the wide spring plates and welding on the tops of the original ones, hopefully will have a decent drop and springs which fit the plates.

Tim.

Im only after early vr6 spring seats as a temporary measure until Monroe source the correct springs for my car, they are standard springs so not fussed about not lowering it enough. I was just wondering what other models of vw use the same early rado upper spring seats.

---------- Post added at 10:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 PM ----------

Im only after early vr6 spring seats as a temporary measure until Monroe source the correct springs for my car, they are standard springs so not fussed about not lowering it enough. I was just wondering what other models of vw use the same early rado upper spring seats.

The spring seats change at the end '94 on the Corrado VR6, and are also found on Mk3 GTi/VR6 but only upto to the end of '93.

The ones you need are 1H0412341, and are still available new from VW main dealers, currently £17.46+vat.

I ended up salvaging some from vw breakers, but as I said was only a temp fix, monroe have sent correct springs now so all is good. :thumbleft:

I ended up salvaging some from vw breakers, but as I said was only a temp fix, monroe have sent correct springs now so all is good. :thumbleft:

Did the early spring plates fit, as i think i have the same problem. The monroe springs dont seem to fit correctly to my narrower (90mm) late VR spring caps. Did you have any other issues with the top mounts? And did you get some different monroe springs or just a wider plate?

Sorry to be a pain