timthetinyhorse

VR6 cylinder head

Ok the nightmare of my rado continues, after Gatling the head off it was pressure tested and found to be cracked, I was so close to splitting the car but to be honest I need to finish it now in memory of my dad....

So here is my question, I need to source a cylinder head for the car, the guy who looked at my head has an old one on the shelf that was never collected after being stripped down but it looks different,MIT has the same cast number etc on it but it has a large oil drain that goes into the timing chain cover......does this matter? I can only presume that it does.....also this head does not have bearing caps, I have mine but I expect these would not mix and match with the head?

Also I presume a 2.9 head will be hard to find so will a 2.8 fit or are there differences??

Any info would be greatly appreciated as I really don't want to break this car.

Cheers

Rob

Rob not sure on your questions bud but if you get stuck I have a spare head here mate

---------- Post added at 8:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 8:03 AM ----------

Rob not sure on your questions bud but if you get stuck I have a spare head here mate

Pretty sure 2.8 and 2.9 are the same bud

So here is my question, I need to source a cylinder head for the car, the guy who looked at my head has an old one on the shelf that was never collected after being stripped down but it looks different,MIT has the same cast number etc on it but it has a large oil drain that goes into the timing chain cover......does this matter? I can only presume that it does.....also this head does not have bearing caps, I have mine but I expect these would not mix and match with the head?

The bearing caps are unique to the head, as they are line bored/honed after being installed.. :(

The large oil hole under the timing chain gears is only on the 2.8 (AAA) head - pretty sure they mix and match otherwise, but as above it has to have a matching set of bearing caps...

If you can hold on for a couple of months I'll have an ABV head available - still running fine (it's in my daily) but I'm replacing it with a rebuilt one as I swap to 263 cams. Or there'll be plenty on here if you ask :)

Stone

I've got a spare head off my breaker complete with cam caps but no cams, it would need pressure testing though.

The large oil hole under the timing chain gears is only on the 2.8 (AAA) head - pretty sure they mix and match otherwise, but as above it has to have a matching set of bearing caps...

It might be an OBD2 head, in which case the EGR port would need to be blocked off it's got one. But yeah, 2.8 heads work fine on the ABV block!

Cheers for the info guys, fuzzer I have dropped you a PM but if you still have my number give me a text, Dave I will give you a shout if I don't get sorted cheers.

---------- Post added at 2:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:24 PM ----------

Stonejag just seen your post, sounds good if I don't get anything sooner cheers......

Also I hadn't thought about the head being an OBD2 item, look like its on from a 2.8 then from the oil feed to chains.

---------- Post added at 2:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:28 PM ----------

Stonejag just seen your post, sounds good if I don't get anything sooner cheers......

Also I hadn't thought about the head being an OBD2 item, look like its on from a 2.8 then from the oil feed to chains.