Hofmiester

Strong coolant smell with interior fan set to 4

Whilst sat in traffic/hot weather today I cranked the heater fan up to 4 and got a really strong whiff of coolant, ran it a while but smell stayed. Put it back to 2 and the smell goes......any ideas?

Could be that your heater matrix is on the way out?

Other's have been talking about this Ron and saying it could be something to do with Samco's.

I've had the same problem the past couple of weeks, smell of coolant in traffic with the blower on. Mine turned out to be a very small water leak from the t-piece in the water hose above the exhaust dripping onto the exhaust.

Hmmmm, better bloody not be the matrix.....that is an absolute bitch of a job :(

This has Bly just started since the Samco's went on. Might have a leak somewhere?

Need some bloody time to get her on ramps.

Bang goes my time for fitting the charger again!

---------- Post added at 10:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 PM ----------

Wondering if I should bypass the matrix until I have more time to investigate.......last thing I want is boiling hot water pouring all over place, including my legs.

Edited by Hofmiester

are you loosing coolant? idd have a good mooch around the hose's and expansion tank for any signs of leaks, idd be thinking the matrix might have a small leak/weep , if it was me and I didn't know the history of the matrix I would like you say , by pass the matrix until I could be bothered with fitting a new one at a later date..

If nothing else, you could identify whether it is the heater matrix by by-passing it. Plus it is summer, so wouldn't have thought you'd need much heat at this time of the year.

I'd say heater matrix too.

Mine did exactly the same last week. New matrix time.

Check for wet carpets around where the matrix would be.

If nothing else, you could identify whether it is the heater matrix by by-passing it. Plus it is summer, so wouldn't have thought you'd need much heat at this time of the year.

Maybe not the most ideal thing to do on a VR though - remember the matrix is always in circuit and the cooling system needs it really to get rid or extra heat - you can bypass to get you home etc but I wouldn't keep driving one like this...

I'd check the engine bay carefully first, it's it's clean you can usually spot the white staining from the coolant... then drive it for a bit with the vents closed and fan off, when up to temp open them and turn fan on 4 and heater round to hot - do this parked as you may get a sudden mist of coolant vapour in the cabin - this is what mine did and showed a very slight leak into the heater box.

When was the matrix last done??? Just thinking it's a '93 car so was maybe done around 2003 and obviously it's 2013 now...

I'd check the engine bay carefully first, it's it's clean you can usually spot the white staining from the coolant... then drive it for a bit with the vents closed and fan off, when up to temp open them and turn fan on 4 and heater round to hot - do this parked as you may get a sudden mist of coolant vapour in the cabin - this is what mine did and showed a very slight leak into the heater box.

When was the matrix last done??? Just thinking it's a '93 car so was maybe done around 2003 and obviously it's 2013 now...

Thanks for your help guys, and for this advice on testing. My gut feeling is that the Matrix hasnt been done for a long while. When I bought the car is has a fully stamped up history book and meticulous receipts from 2005 to now but any receipts from before 2005 are missing and I have nothing for a Matrix in the existing lot.

On the plus side, my heater controls dont turn on the fan direction dial and so its a good oportunity to strip it all down and figure it out.

Bummer though as I was banking on my next big job being the fitting of the supercharger :(

It's a big job but relatively cheap... only the cost of the matrix and a good weekends work perhaps with a mate. Forecast is excellent for this weekend so maybe a sign it's time to do it? :)

A Corrado owners work is never done eh? :)

Bugger is I am moving house next week so all systems are go on that at the moment, upside is new house has a double garage and so plenty of room to dismantle the car in.

Any recomendations on the brand of matrix? ECP have them for £30

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/c/Volkswagen_Corrado_2.9_1994/p/car-parts/car-cooling-parts-and-car-heating/heating/heater-matrix/?214440011&1&dc6ad0bfc020aaeb4a7821075224885258ca5dc9&000189

---------- Post added at 1:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 1:46 PM ----------

Also, is there a DIY anywhere?

When I replaced mine I bought it from GSF and was the correct oem matrix. Think it's a French make but forgotten now.

Valeo is the OEM one. When I got the replacement for the VR a couple of months ago from GSF (this time I tried it with the dash out btw), it was a BEHR/Hella Matrix. They list two types, a cheap and a Premium one. The Hella one was the Premium one.

Just a quick update on this......turned out not to be the big panic first assumed. I tested the matrix based on the feedback you guys gave me. Ran it hot, all flaps closed and heater off. Then ramped it over to hot, all flaps open and not a wiff of coolant. Spent about 10 mins sniffing around the vents but smell nothing.

Then removed the carpet at the front and found nothing. So went back to the engine looking for leaks and found it, bottom hose to the rad is leaking but only under alot of pressure when very hot.

Thank F*** for that :)