Sign in to follow this  
ClassicStorm

Interior Fan Not Blowing Air?

I own a 95 Corrado and have therefore got the rotary style dash.My fan has just stopped working and I would like some advice as to possible causes.I am under the impression that this is a common problem with this style of dashboard as when turning the knobs there is likelihood of interference with the wiring behind the centre console.Any thoughts guys????I will check the fuses and look for any obvious answers but I am a bit stuck.....

If its not working at all - its likely to be the copper contact behind the knob. Give it a good pull and it will come away revealing a copper strip. The sticky-out bit on the rotary dial might need a bit of bending and some copper-grease wouldn't do any harm.

If it works on #4 only, then its your thermal fuse. Have a look here for more info.

It's the same fan as the MK2 Golf's and therefore troublesome! If they don't squeak they only work on a couple or one of the speeds! The contacts on the fan itself can work loose giving no speeds at all, so you'll need to drop the passenger side cubby-hole and poke the connector about a bit. Or it could be the switch itself as Andi mentioned.

If the fan has to come out to change the thermal fuse, don't forget to pull the locking tab down before twisting the fan off and down!

Kev

94 VR6

Most likely problem is the ballast resistor burnt out. Ages since I had that but pretty sure its fitted close to the fan itself. VAG reckoned it was a 'typical' fault.

Clean the contacts on the switch first then maybe try another one if its not working at all, then move onto checking the wiring to diagnose if its the motor itself,

The Rheostat (resistor that the power plugs into) that clips on the side of the motor has a thermal cut out, so check this and check for any visible signs that its gone, usually when it goes the blower will work, but only on the 4th speed setting (ie no resistance) - it is also a suprisingly expensive part becuase it has one more speed setting over the mk2 golf... £55 from VAG!!

Cheers for all the replies guys.It wasn't working when the car was hot i.e. 100 or so degrees.I tried it this morning on the way to work and it works?However it is giving me a squealing type noise which is lessened by turning the heat dial to full heat??I think that it does blow on all speeds and harder as the dial moves to 2,3 etc.Well confused will have a proper look on my day off tomorrow.

Thanks Again

The squealing noise is probably the fan bearings are worn - same thing happened to mine. You can't replace the bearings either - so new fan needed :x That fixed the squeak on mine - then the direction dial sheared off it's spindle about a month later! :(

Cheers

Mark

Whent a scrapie last night and got hold of a Golf Mk2 blower. After swapping over the the rheostat (resistor that the power plugs into) from originalblower worked fine in all four spped modes althrough sat in the drivers seat and turned blower onto 4 with the middle vents open and got covered in bits. Oh well where the dustbuster!!!! :o

Woody, can you help:

My fan works but it's pretty noisy and also not very effective. When you say you got a MK2 blower, did you get the whole fan unit and bits and pieces that go under the passenger part of the dash? Did you need to buy anything else, what did it cost and was it easy to fit? I have air-con; no idea if this'll make things more tricky.

For what it's worth, if your heater control dashboard switches ever go, I found that a second hand Passat dial was easy to come by and fits perfectly. Ask for a Corrado one and almost every scrap yard will have no stock – just make sure it’s undamaged as many breakers rip these units out and destroy the retaining holes for the screws. It cost me £20 and VW wanted over a hundred for the part and 4 hours labour to fit it – idiots ;-)

hi guys wondering if you could give a few words of advice, i have a 1.8 16v, i recently pulled out the air blower controls to see what was up because the windscreen demister wasn't working (no air), yet it would blow air through all the other vents, then when i put it all back together, all of a sudden the windscreen demister setting started working (ie: started blowing air), but when i change the setting to the air vents on the dash they've literally stopped blowing any air, even on setting 4???? Does anyone know why this may have happened????Could it be the thermal fuse on the resistor pack???? :cry:

jmk

Quite an easy job

dont foget when removing the blower to hold the tab down as you rotate the blower to extract it. The tab is located on the engine bau side of the blower

Whole unit required

The blower cost me £15 out of a golf Mk2. Not sure if air conditioning makes any difference but the fans only job is to push the air from whatever source arround the. The blower on a golf only has three speeds as i beleive this is govened by the connector on the blower itself. Your fan bing noisy is a sign that it is old and all of my 3 previous VW had the same problem( sounds like you have a flock of birds stuck in the pipes) remove the part which the connector connects into from a mk2 and disconnect the plate from the blower. You will notice that a mk2 golf blower connecter has the centre pin missing on the connector which stops you doing a complete swap. Remove two crimps making sure not to mix the up as the fan will go backwards if wrong (DC Motor). Insert rheostat (resistor that the power plugs into) from your corrado and reconnect two crimps and 5 pin corrado connector. There you go ! Cheers