delfinis38

changing handbrake cables....

handbrake cables....

job for this afternoon...... however any clues how to remove the trim from round the handbrake to get at the cable ends....

Just looked quickly and see their is one screw just below the handbrake and I assume if I pull the rear ashtray out there might be one there too.

and other clues don't want to waste my time and hack the interior about.

TIA

mine had two plastic things you turn either side of the handrake tunnel cover.i think it would be easyer to take front seats out then you have got less chance of braking the plastic

Yep, plastic nuts either side of the tunnel, and the four screws for the hump bracket too mate.

sort of got it... cant see the nuts on mine but I can sort of see the location in this ebay advert. guess they are hidden under the trim

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-Corrado-VR6-Beige-Centre-Tunnel-Gear-Surround-Leather-Gearknob-/161083970202?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item25815a529a#ht_137wt_1399

what happens to the hand brake itself ie.... handle and trim assume you need to remove this first before the tunnel trim comes away.

Man up and pull harder! :lol:

Its a bit of a nightmare getting it off tbh. Release the tab then give it a wiggle whilst pulling. It'll come off eventually, but perseverance is required. Its the only way to do it without breaking the cover trim off, which the chump who owned my car before me decided would be easier. :rolleyes:

Simple when you know how ! No effort required at all. Leather handle off and now sticking the loose end bit down. Hump out. And tunnel loose with access to cable ends. Cables fitting tomorrow.

Does the hand brake sit natually offset to the drivers side?

Edited by delfinis38

I had to cut my old hand brake handle off no way it was coming off any other way

you need to push the top tab down with a screwdriver and slide a small screw driver inside the underside of the handle to release the tab which is about 10mm inside the handle, once this is released it slides off with no effort. tunnel removed ready to put new cables in tomorrow. taken me half aday to fathom this out. :)

The handbrake will sit over to the drivers side slightly due to usage. Over time with it being pulled up, it naturally gets pulled to the side slightly as well. You may be able to push it a bit to centralise it, but be careful as it will weaken the spot welds on the base plate.

The handbrake will sit over to the drivers side slightly due to usage. Over time with it being pulled up, it naturally gets pulled to the side slightly as well. You may be able to push it a bit to centralise it, but be careful as it will weaken the spot welds on the base plate.

cheers for the info... just finished changing the cables this morning.... 95% adjusted them okay, will leave the tunnel trim off for a few weeks to do a bit of tweeking, no doubt the new callipers / discs and pads will bed in and I will need a final adjustment. thanks for your help.