Roger Chatfield

Tyres for Solitude alloys, will 195/50/R15's fit

Evening chums, quick question for you all.

Now I know that Solitude alloys should have 205/50/R15's fitted but will 195/50/R15 tyres fit and be ok.

Just that I've got 4 nearly new Yoko Prada spec R's sat my garage gathering dust, I was thinking about selling them but if they will fit VR alloys then I'll keep them for any up coming Corrado purchase.

Cheers

Rog.

A lot of people now run 195s anyway as the 205s are becoming increasingly scarce, and as a result are much more expensive!

It's worth bearing in mind that your tyres will perish if left in storage for a long time. I am on the look out for a similar size set of tyres if you decide to sell :)

Nice one, cheers fella's, I only bought the tyres this year for my track day spec CRX, I have done less than 1000 miles on them including one track day at Combe so it makes sence to keep them for any possible future Corrado purchase.

Rog.

Edited by Roger Chatfield

IIRC up until the final 3rd revision face lift all versions of the rado ran on 195/50/15's from factory

1 of the slight change made to the 3rd revision was for the VR6 to switch to running on 205/50/15's

good point that 205's can be more expensive but i found event-tyres.co.uk had great prices & could supply a bridgestone in 205/50/15 for about £90.....& that is fitted at your door price :D

you'll accelerate slightly quicker on 195's too as the rolling circumference is slightly less ;)

does the VR6 door sticker have the tyre pressures for 195's, if so I think it would be pretty safe insurance wise as was clearly a factory option, if you're very paranoid you could always let your insurance company know, I doubt it would make any premium difference, how does it work with 'winter' tyres?

Edited by davidwort

how does it work with 'winter' tyres?

good point raised david

i had wondered the same as arent winter tyres narrower by design so as to improve grip on ice/snow/sub 7 degree's temps?

Could be just me but I think the 195 are a little more fun in the corners, loved my old golf with skinny tyres small engine but could throw it into the corners even at low speeds and it would feel like it was on the edge.