Roger Chatfield

VR6, how long to heat up.

Fellas, my Storm seems to take ages to heat up, a good 10 mins, if I drive down my road the temp gauge doesn't even move in the first 3 miles.

I've never owned a VR6 before so don't know if this is normal?

Also what temp do they normally run at?

Rog.

Every car will be different i normaly leave mine running for 10 minutes before driving , its warmed up then and the oil has rached the tappets . Normal temp is around 75 degrees .

Rob

They do tend to take a while to warm up tbh Rog. Water temp will lead oil up to 90 and then stay there, then oil temp should rise to between 100 - 120 depending on driving and outside temp conditions. As components (temp sensors) start getting on a bit, as you can imagine they start becoming slow to react, and misread a bit. ECU and indicator temps are read off of different sensors, so getting a live readout from VCDS will give you a better indication even if not 100% accurate. New sensors are not too expensive so if they're suspected to be inaccurate, you won't need to re-mortgage to change them!

Mine takes about 3minutes for the coolant to reach 32degrees, usually regardless of outside temperature. It takes a good 10-13mins for the oil to get to about 90. My drive out of Inverclyde takes 13/15mins before hitting the dual carriageway, by which time it's always ready to go. The LPG switches over at 32degrees, and happens at the traffic lights 1.5miles down the road. I know this because if you take off from the lights jsut at point of switch over, it sometimes jerks. But 10mins is fairly normal. I've had the crackpipe, thermostat, housing, sensors and water pump all done recently, so all in good order.

Every car will be different i normaly leave mine running for 10 minutes before driving , its warmed up then and the oil has rached the tappets . Normal temp is around 75 degrees .

Rob

I usually do the same although manufacturers state you should drive off as soon as engine started due to slower warm up hence more wear if sitting at idle!