Roger Chatfield

Door dropped

My drivers door has dropped slightly, now I realise the car is 18 odd years old and this is to be expected but it bugs the hell out of me.

So, what are my options?? I'm thinking that I could replace the door pins, do they wear or is it the hinge that has worn.

Failing that, my plan is to shim the actual hinge, I'll just remove the securing bolt and place a washer in behind it to move the door up.

Anyone else have any ideas.

Rog.

If there's no play in the hinge pins there's no point replacing them. In the past I've put a trolley jack (with a rubber sanding block on top to prevent damage to the paint) under the door concerned and used my weight on the sill to bend the door skin back to its previous position. Easy as you go, you don't have to do it all in one go!

A nice vid of a Trabant having its PDI!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBsPFI--muo

EDIT

To be clear the rubber pad goes under the door on the inner skin, not on the seam! It may be worth getting someone to stand on the outside of the door to prevent it slipping off the jack. Once the jack begins to lift the car, stop and use your weight on the sill to gently tweak the door skin by the hinge.

Edited by Dox

The hinges are deffo worn mate, you can lift the door up by about 1cm at the end, there is play in the hinges.

Has anyone else replaced the hinge pins.

Rog.

The hinges are deffo worn mate, you can lift the door up by about 1cm at the end, there is play in the hinges.

Has anyone else replaced the hinge pins.

Rog.

yes I have if you click on my name you might come across my thread in the members gallery for pics of it on the first 2 pages ?, you will need to remove the door, sadly the way vw designed the door pins/hinges the hinges are not easy to press out ,you will need to replace the pins along with the half hinge as that will also be worn {it has a bush} get them from ebay same as mk2 golf, I used a ball joint spliter {the one that you tighten with a spanner} to press the hinge pin out ,

heres the pin's http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOOR-PINS-NEW-FOR-MK1-2-GOLF-JETTA-SCIROCCO-PASSAT-SEAT-TOLEDO-/360764326499?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&fits=Car+Make%3AVW%7CModel%3AGolf&hash=item53ff3ac263

cant find the half hinge though, its the piece which bolts to the door ,

Edited by VW_OwneR_85

Are they like MK3s with a little grub screw under a plastic cap?

Dark and wet outside, so not the best phone pic............

IMAG0451_zpsb04c3220.jpg

Shimming the bottom hinge will move the door in the wrong direction.

Are the 13mm bolts tight?

No worn pins on my breaker

Cheers for the replies fella's, looks like a lot of work to replace the hinge pins so I think I'll go down the shim route for now.

Fox, yes mate, I realise the bottom hinge won't work, plan is to shim the top hinge a few mm.

Rog.

no need to remove the top bolt completely. Loosen it, and insert a shim cut in an 'n' shape. Tighten up and you're done. Make sure you lube the hinge pins well - I use some penetrating oil as a 'carrier' followed by some slightly heavier oil to get drawn around the pin.