kerrly

DBP VR6 Daily

Just been through your thread , massive bummer with the engine . Nice to see the head back nice and clean . The car looks great in the pics . Another DBP brother wishing you all the best .

Rob

Cheers chaps.

The new parts should turning up at the weekend but there is still plenty of cleaning and prep work to do before the engine goes near the bay again.

My only slight concern at the moment is being able to arrange a time for the welding to be done. That has the potential to slow things down but since the MOT is due at the end of April it would be foolish not to have the work done now.

Had a productive day today. My brother very kindly organised a deal where I sold some wheels to SMITHY220 who is a professional welder.... well I didn't need the cash so we put a plan together for him to come down an help out.

So the once nasty battery tray that looked like this:

DSC_1070_zps54959b04.jpg

Luckily the inside chassis leg is perfect

DSC_1074_zpsf2a109a6.jpg

The top part of the tray was hacked out - i HATE spot welds - to leave this to work with

DSC_1088_zps45c38bc9.jpg

Smithy hard at work

DSC_1089_zpsc0be0cf8.jpg

YES all of this is getting done in a car park, no fancy workshop for me!

getting there

DSC_1090_zps77565227.jpg

And done

DSC_1097_zps840612f9.jpg

some extra bracing on the bumper mount for good measure

DSC_1099_zps4a94e6c0.jpg

Since I had removed the passenger side wing to make it easier to weld I thought I'd use now as an opportunity to remove the driver's side wing as the previous owner ran the car without inner arches so there was tonnes of mud/crap and a little hole...

DSC_1091_zps2cb1fc37.jpg

A little hole that became a BIGGER hole

DSC_1092_zpsa0219ed3.jpg

NO HOLE

DSC_1103_zps23bc6032.jpg

Also decided to wire brush the inner arch and apply a quick coat of Zinc so that tomorrow i can waxoil the whole lot

DSC_1104_zps8bad38e9.jpg

And the passenger side now the welding is done.

DSC_1100_zpsf482ec01.jpg

Hopefully tomorrow i will finish painting up all the inner arches, paint the insides of the wings, remove the front suspension in order to fit my new AVOs and make a start at painting the lower cross member and spend more time cleaning the engine bay.

That's enough for one day!

cheers, there is a danger that the longer it is off the road the more jobs I do and the "daily" starts becoming too nice to use all the time..

At this stage I want to have completely sorted engine, suspension and running gear all the potential rust issues done and be left in a position where long term it's a respray away from a minter.

Man maths suggests that what it owes me now plus £1k for a respray combined with current prices of good ones around £2000-3500 should help future proof this one :-)

it was quite a productive weekend!

managed to fully coat the inner wings and start the inner sills with a good layer of waxoil. I decided that since this is a daily I more interested in protection and not to fussed on striping/repainting the arches DBP.

DSC_1110_zpsaf74d966.jpg

DSC_1111_zpsf34b1bdf.jpg

Spent a bit of time cleaning the insides of the front wings in order to apply a coat of zinc primer , waxoil and for the inner arch lip and edges proper DBP paint.

I'm also thinking of sanding and repainting the lower side skirt area as there are one or two areas where the stone chip looks a bit damaged, i reckon a rattle can job will be sufficient for now. Ive been really impressed with some custom mix paint from a local supplier (Middleton panels) and in less you are on your hands an knees I cant imagine you'd notice.

Not sure if it was such a good idea but i have set myself a target of 3 more weekends to be up and running again....

Another busy weekend preparing the engine bay for the rebuilt engine.

Since having a new tray in i decided to go all out and paint the chassis legs an bay.

passenger:

I did a few coats of Zinc primer first before a couple of high build primer prior to body colour

DSC_1121_zpseafecb81.jpg

driver side:

DSC_1119_zps42f82d8d.jpg

DSC_1123_zps3fd91f97.jpg

DSC_1124_zpsf7ca9a70.jpg

whilst the paint was drying I carried on with the engine - removing the sump first

DSC_1126_zps25aaa914.jpg

Reason why!!

DSC_1127_zps13f3bbc6.jpg

more bits of timing chain tensioner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

then back to the paint... second coat

DSC_1128_zpsd5d03aa5.jpg

DSC_1129_zpsea7b85d6.jpg

I painted the chassis legs as well which are looking spot on now... good enough for a rattle can effort

DSC_1142_zps0a9563ac.jpg

Painted the block to- Wilkinson barbecue paint haha

DSC_1143_zps14137591.jpg

The front cross member, subframe, anti roll bar, lower arms pretty much everything i could get to has been painted

As soon as parts arrive its time to go back together!!!!!!!!!!!!

The last few weekends have been spent helping my brother weld the hell out of his mk2 golf.

Not been up to much on the Corrado other than cleaning and painting since I'm stuck waiting for a few parts most notably a engine mount, sump gasket, oil cooler seals.

Shiny stuff

DSC_1184_zps7e9a108e.jpg

DSC_1190_zps39f67e17.jpg

It appears that the cleaners have ratted me out to the management company describing the car park as a scrap yard so in an effort to make the Corrado a bit more presentable whilst it's waiting for it's heart to be returned I put the wings & bonnet back on and put the car back on 4 wheels. It still looks jacked up!!!!!

DSC_1186_zpsef3296dc.jpg

It's been a good few weeks since I've done any work on the Corrado, a combination of a few weddings and track days but this weekend I made a bit of a step forward.

new chains and tensioners on

DSC_000001_zpslnypvgdl.jpg

new seal

DSC_000001_zpsczdiphye.jpg

new clutch, upper timing chain & tenioner bolts.

DSC_000002_zpsf18rodz0.jpg

no pics but new clutch fork and release bearing. The slave cylinder was replaced not long ago.

Then manhandling the engine an box into the bay. driveshafts and manifold back on, the wiring is mostly sorted DSC_000001_zpsmucw5byd.jpg

no more work today as im off to look at........another Corrado, a 2.0 16v project.

It's been a good few weeks since I've done any work on the Corrado, a combination of a few weddings and track days but this weekend I made a bit of a step forward.

new chains and tensioners on

DSC_000001_zpslnypvgdl.jpg

new seal

DSC_000001_zpsczdiphye.jpg

new clutch, upper timing chain & tenioner bolts.

DSC_000002_zpsf18rodz0.jpg

no pics but new clutch fork and release bearing. The slave cylinder was replaced not long ago.

Then manhandling the engine an box into the bay. driveshafts and manifold back on, the wiring is mostly sorted and just needs plugging into place

Only things holding me up now are waiting for a oil temperature sensor, a new fan (i donated mine to my brother to keep him on the road!)

DSC_000001_zpsmucw5byd.jpg

Reckon it will be in for a MOT next week...

I had Friday off work so i got it ready to go aside from needing some fresh oil, coolant, brake fluid/bleed clutch and it was time for the FIRST START- oh and a radiator mount - the cable tie is very temporary!!

DSC_000002_zpsvnlfcrx2.jpg

Yesterday I began filling the coolant system only to find that my thermostat housing was leaking like a tap, really really annoying when there are new seals everywhere! I wasted most of the day stripping it all apart resealing all the sensors and fitting another new seal.

So today filling it with more coolant and good news... no leaks!! WOO HOO.

Now onto the oil, 5.5L of lovely new oil went in, all looks good after half hour so I got excited at the thought of the first start.... disconnected the coil pack to allow me to spin the engine a few times to allow fuel and oil to circulate a bit. Then on with the coil pack lead.

IT STARTED STRAIGHT AWAY - Oh I was happy, then the oil light came on. ENGINE OFF.

I went and looked at the front of the car only to find oil pouring out of the oil cooler housing and two of the three oil pressure senders.

NOT GOOD.. i've uninstalled and checked the seals on the sensors and they are now oil tight but the oil cooler has been ON/OFF 3 bloody times and is still pouring oil out from between the block.

To say im annoyed is an understatement, the car should have been MOT'd this afternoon but had to cancel and it's looking like i will tow the ******* to the MOT station as Ive had enough of crawling under the car on a dirty drive that now has an extra 2-3Litres dumped all over it.

Fingers crossed it may may still be ready for Friday.

Car is back up and running, now sporting some BBS RX2s, new discs/pads and flexis all round including a 288mm front brake upgrade plus new tracking arms an ball joints. Next on the list is the AVO suspension kit which I've been sitting on for a while.

The engine is still playing up a bit it sounds utterly smoother an quieter than it ever had but i'm having a issue with the emissions, the C02 reading is 3% so I'm going to try a new Lambda sensor may cure that as it should be 0.3%!!!! IF you know any other tips for getting emissions down please let me know.

Next job is finish undersealing the back end and rear arches before I drop it off at my mates detailing company for a quick freshen up and wax/seal.

It's been far from ideal doing all the work on the drive but needs must. A new lambda and a slightly flexible MOT station and it's legal :-)

I've done 80miles in it, in that time I have had to adjust the gear linkage 4 times before getting it spot on so that all the gears all work but other than that it's faultless.

Happy to be back in a Corrado, no more 1 mile walk in the rain/wind to the bus stop for me

It's been another week now since it's been on the road and aside from a minor setback in the form of a split hose - gaffa tape kept me on the road for a couple of days. New hose was £20 from Heritage so no biggy.

DSC_0101_zps2yh1ulk8.jpg

I hit a bit of a milestone earlier.

DSC_0105_zps9hvaqhc4.jpg

that's 190,000 on the chassis, approximately 89,000 on the block and 359 miles since all the new engine parts.

Plans this weekend are fitting new tyres , possibly suspension and give it a good clean so it's worthy of a few pics.

a slightly ropey wheel as the lips were painted yellow which has now been stripped off.

Have to say the 288mm and fresh fluid has been a fantastic upgrade since I had the parts spare after doing a 312mm on my Bro's

DSC_000002_zpsnmshzviy.jpg

How the hell did you get the brake hose off of the hard pipe when doing the 288 upgrade! I've been trying today, but having an utter nightmare with the union nuts siezed to the old hose. Only option I can think of is rip the lot out, and make up new hard pipes. :(

Only option I can think of is rip the lot out, and make up new hard pipes. :(

Sadly that's it, i ended up replacing the copper pipes from the ABS module plus the flexi sections needed replacing anyway as the new calipers are the banjo fitting type.

All this work makes me think this car will be sticking around for a while.

Quick update. 2,000 miles since it's major work and no dramas to report. I've ended up biting the bullet and replacing all the thermostat housing, crack pipe & joiner and all temp sensors as no matter what I tried I just couldn't stop the small coolant leak that's been testing me!!

Aside from that new ECU & fuel pump relays an a new indicator stalk resolved all sorts of strange electrical gremlins. It was rather strange to find that when the indicator stalk main beam/full beam stalk plays up you end up with only side lights - which as we know are not a Corrado strong point.

Finally set about giving it a dam good pre Xmas clean. Sadly we ran out of light to take full car shots showing the results of several hours with a MOP.

just a teaser for now, I'm really quite amazed how many of the scratches and swirls have been removed. The only draw back is the dings show up even more.

from this: horrible dull scratched paint (note the bumper is next on the agenda as it's beyond saving)

DSC_0149_zpsb5wehq1o.jpg

to much deeped glossier paint that in low light in looks blacker than before and in sunlight far more purple.

DSC_0152_zpsqapjso7o.jpg

but then RAIN, which led to this:

DSC_0159_zpsnjlu4jue.jpg

Gave the interior a freshen up to,

DSC_0157_zpszodu9yzz.jpg

Should just require a quick wipe down an dry at the weekend which ought to allow me to get some better pictures. The transformation since last year is quite pleasing given the relatively meager budget.

Edited by kerrly

In typical fashion everyday since I had the car cleaned it has rained and been overcast. Either way here is a picture of how it currently stands

DSC_0166_zpswd2lfovf.jpg

DSC_0167_zpsmg2butls.jpg

DSC_0168_zps2osqhcpt.jpg

Edited by kerrly

No updates for ages as the car as been 4th choice car in the fleet as I bought a BMW 5series originally as a quick flipper but actually quite like it.

Anyhow, today the VR6 passed it's MOT, a few advisories but nothing a £100 an a few hours of my time can't sort.

Next decision, sell it, track it, daily it, we shall see.

Gratuitous picture after the MOT, dodgy parking I know

DSC_0363_zpswdgfcxzp.jpg

an a couple of other randoms

DSC_1207_zpsvr9pqz6j.jpg

DSC_1206_zpsgbi8fvmy.jpg