EmGreenVR6

Fitting inner CV boot - D3?

Hi,

Fitting a new inner CV joint and boot.

My manual says for this 'coat inside of cap flange with D3'. I have no idea what D3 is. Can anyone enlighten me?

Many thanks!

Emma

No-one have any ideas? I have the driveshaft ready to go back on the car, but a bit worried about this! It's referring to where the metal cap on the inner boot fits onto the inner joint.

Thanks,

Em

Fitted mine back together a couple of times (VR6 corrado) they weren't new items but all i remember doing was filling it full of the black cv grease. Did notice a rubber flange in there as well, but hard to find where its covered in grease.

Can't find "D3" on google, is it a grease or a sealant?

Hi,

From the link I assume that D3 is the gasket they are talking about between the inner joint and the flange. I didn't get one in the joint kit, which included the boot as well, so it's going on without!

I'm pretty sure with the 6 bolts holding it in place, the seal will be OK, will keep an eye on it though.

Cheers for the answers,

Em

Either get some sump gasket sealant and put a little bead of that on, the elring stuff GSF do is good, or some generic silicon sealant if you can't get anything else, better than assembling with nothing and then the CV grease spins out, it may not but a bit of silicon wont do any harm

http://www.gsfcarparts.com/982vg0010

Edited by davidwort

sounds like 'wet-on-wet' gasket sealant then (bead on each half), in which case the elring stuff I mentioned is exactly what you need