sheppeydave

Timing belt change on 16v corrado 1990??

You don't, there's a timing mark on the cam pulley and an arrow on the cam cover, the crank pulley has a mark and the lower belt cover an arrow, intermediate pulley just does the oil pump so no need to time it unlike an 8v

Memory failing a wee bit her but basically. Remove timing belt covers. You will have to take off the ancillary belts and possibly one of the pulleys. water pump I think. Line up the spotty dots on the pulleys. Slacken off the tensioner. Remove timing belt. Replace timing belt and re-tension so that you can just twist it about 90 degrees. Check timing marks are still aligned. Rotate engine by hand a couple of times and recheck timing marks. Shove back all the other stuff and covers. Job done. Just a thought as I type this, the water pump pulley is retained by four allan bolts, undo these through he wheel arch before you do anything else. they are wee buggers to get off and the tension from the drive belt will keep the pulley from turning.

Had a further thought on this since I posted, I think the external drive pulleys all need to come off. Again these are Allan bolts and are best freed while the belts ae in place and tensioned. All should be obvious when you stick your head in there.

the lower pulleys are the biggest pain ...the allen head bolts are keen to round off given half the chance , so hammer the socket in with a sharp tap to make sure its seated

the crank pulley is just the 4 allen heads..not the 19mm in the center

the lower pulleys are the biggest pain ...the allen head bolts are keen to round off given half the chance , so hammer the socket in with a sharp tap to make sure its seated

the crank pulley is just the 4 allen heads..not the 19mm in the center

Yeah, that catches people out, the water pump/alternator v belt drive pulley seizes to the crank timing belt pulley and makes it seem like you need to take the main crank pulley off, you don't :)

Hello do I just need to take the outer crank pulley off as I'm going to replace the drive belts as well was just going to slacken the alternator off then power steering pump and get them out of the way then can I get to the lower half of the plastic timing cover?

Hello all stripped down now just going to take the belt off still have no idea where the timing marks are on the crank and camshaft there are white dots but how do you line them up and where do you line them up or is it just a case of undoing the tensioner and putting a new belt on hoping none of the pulleys move????please help?

Here's a pic of the cam on mine. The tippex is just highlighting the groove on the cam pulley and it's lined up with an arrow directly behind it. Mines a 2 litre but yours is probably the same.

I've just manually turned the timing before removal and there is a white dot on the crank pulley and one on the cam pulley the cam pulley is lined up to the arrow on the cam cover and the crank is pointing down central do I not worry about the pulley in the middle?

So now I have lined them up is it ok to losen the tensioner off and fit the new without the pulleys moving??

Yep, you might find the cams move a little under pressure from the valve springs when you slacken the tensioner, just make sure you turn it over a few times by hand to make sure it all lines up when the new belt and tensioner is on