Roger Chatfield

Castrol Magnatec, yea or nay??

Going to do an oil service tomorrow on the storm, I've got a Halfords trade card so get a bit of discount on oil.

So what are folks opinions on Castrol Magnatec??

Rog.

I've used the 10/40 no problem in the past, maybe not the best performing synthetic but perfectly good for for a 1980's designed engine :-)

You can get 5 litres of Quantum Silver 10w40 from VW for around £18 anyway Rog. I always found it cheaper than most oils at Halfords even with trade discount mate. I always got between 10% and 20% (depending who was on the parts desk) forces discount at VW on top, and you may be able to blag some discount yourself.

Am using it at the moment, and tbh, i've never noticed any difference from using syntha silver, fuchs titan or the magnatec, quite keen to try this thicker oil the other Jim has recently installed. yeah i know, installing oil :)

been using it latley as it was on sale in costco

our polo had a noisy tappet and it silenced that straight away..no scientific evidence i know but the engine sounds happy with it

Bit the bullet and got 10 lts of Quantum Silver 10w40 from VW, £25 for 5 ltrs but gave me 10% discount for being a club member.

Quite an experience buying parts from VW, Murrey's parts department is in the main show room and is very posh, I was directed to a seat and offered a free coffee while I ordered my parts, very upmarket... the Honda parts department is in the basement and you have to wipe your feet on the way out...lol... although while waiting for my oil to be freshly milked from the German oil cow I did overhear one of the service advisers speaking to a customer on the phone...'yeah, your front pads are 90% worn, that's £272 fitted plus the VAT sir' facking hell, a least Dick Turpin wore a mask...lol

Rog.

Going to do an oil service tomorrow on the storm, I've got a Halfords trade card so get a bit of discount on oil.

So what are folks opinions on Castrol Magnatec??

Rog.

Hi Rog

If you PM oilman on here he works for opie oils & has a vast knowledge on oil.

I sent him my vehicle details, specs, mileage, brief service history etc & he recommended an oil & explained why ;)

Also, thought not directly related to magnetec i found this post about oil viscosity http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=83576&highlight=oilman