Roger Chatfield

VR sump gasket... where from??

Had a little look under the storm today and it looks like I have an oil leak.

I think it's from the sump although it's at the chain end so a little worrying...

Anyway, as I'm doing an oil change soon I thought I might as well change the sump gasket while he engine is empty.

Where is the best place to buy one??? I'm in no massive hurry so ordering one on-line is an option.

Many thanks

Rog.

Yeah I'd recommend VWS as well Rog. Good quality stuff and decent prices. I've got a leak there too. Don't mean to alarm you, but mine is because the three bolts have been cross threaded where they're a pain to get to being inside the bell housing. Just be aware of them is all mate.

Oh and make sure you get the rubber gasket as opposed to the paper one Rog. From Chassis number..............whatever it is. Paper gasket is for the earlier VR's.

Edited by seanl82

I have got a genuine VAG second hand one I purchased from here a few months back (Rubber enclosing metal type)...I believe it was replaced with the new VR6 sump...But the VR6 sump got damaged so was taken off it...Its in great condition as a result...will take a pic for you later if interested £15 posted.

Edited by VWVW

I've got a leak there too. Don't mean to alarm you, but mine is because the three bolts have been cross threaded where they're a pain to get to being inside the bell housing. Just be aware of them is all mate.

TBH mate I'm fairly certain it's the sump gasket but am a little concerned about it being on that end, I'm thinking possible crank or cams seals, is it common for those to go?

Looks like I'll be bookmarking VWS as a favorite...lol

Rog.

No more common than any other tbh. Obviously with a car of this age its possible, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. See how it fares with a new gasket and go from there I suppose mate.

On another note, did you get my message regarding Vagcom in the help section, or have you managed to get it all sorted with a mate you mentioned?

I've got mine from KMS car parts on ebay only £22 compared to the £46 that vw were asking and its just as good quality as the original vw ones