tonytiger

Ebay listing description - what to expect?

Ok, so bought some used alloy wheels (for a saxo) off ebay - not local to me, just went on description and a single photo. Normally I would ask for a photo of each wheel and a fuller description, but as the guy has been on ebay for 10 years and feedback looked okay I just went ahead and bought them.

The wheels arrived today and condition isn't quite what I was expecting but I sometimes wonder if just expect too much and shouldn't grumble. So looking for opinions on what I should reasonably expect/accept when the description says:

"very good condition overall however all tyres ideally need replacing. all hold air but have excessive wear in outer/inner region of tread"

How much damage should I expect and allow for?

Very good condition? seems is a misleading description then but without pics it's hard to see exactly what. Tyres is a no brainer bit as he clearly states they need replacing.

To me very good condition is very very minor kerbing etc and able to go straight on without any rectification. maybe hassle to get sorted though.

Mint = well, mint...........Brand news or freshly refirbed.

Excellent = Very very minor kerbing or scratches on one or two wheels.

Very good = Minor kerbing or scratches on more than one wheel.

Good = Maybe a small amount of corrosion and some kerbing, but still perfectly useable and wouldn't look terrible when on.

Fair = Need a refirb and look grotty, but will do for now.

Poor = Seriously in need of refirb or junk.

This is what I'd expect from a forum (like this one, but not all forums), but from ebay I'd bump them all down by at least one, and also add another one on the bottom for rejection by scrap metal dealer.

Thanks for the replies. That's more or less what I was thinking.

I wasn't expecting perfect wheels - expected some kerbing on all of them, and there is - although one wheel really is very good. I was expecting to be able to use the wheels immediately (with new tyres) and they'd look pretty decent.

But one of the wheels is buckled/bent slightly on the back.

And, one wheel in particular is quite badly scratched across the face along with a couple of chunks out of it.

Two of the other wheels are also scratched to some degree, and are kerbed most/all of the way round.

Obviously I wasn't bothered about the tyres, but one is down to the cords and beyond, another very, very badly flat spotted, and one is going down. That is beyond 'ideally' need replacing to me.

I added a couple of pictures here - the scratched wheel looks much worse in the metal than in the photo.

To me that's pretty bad. I'd be back on to the seller to explain and open a dispute with eBay/Paypal etc. Buckled = Poor going on Sean's scale I think.

Very good condition does not mean buckled and bent ! Nor does it mean scratched to ****ery , although you should never trust anyone on ebay !

If i was going to buy a set of wheels id want a picture of each wheel and any damage i would want close ups of to see how bad it was , condition of the tyres and pics with a 20p in each tread , and a pic of the backs of the wheels

If they cant provide that then there hiding something or cant be arsed wich says to me that i should have daubts about the seller

I have to say I bought a set of wheels off ebay once with the classic single photo of one wheel..

I got called all sorts of ****e when I went over there and refused to buy them because the other three were MUCH worse than the one in the picture.. ;)

And on another occasion I bought a set of wheels and was very happy with them. YMMV!