Sign in to follow this  
steve.neesam

Engine upgrade G60 2.0L 16v

Does anybody have any info on upgrading G60 (PG) Engine to 2.0L 16v

G60 (92 K Corrado)

ie. is it easy or impossible and where do you get them bloody opposite hand 16v inlet manifolds

Steve :scratch:

Does anybody have any info on upgrading G60 (PG) Engine to 2.0L 16v

G60 (92 K Corrado)

ie. is it easy or impossible and where do you get them bloody opposite hand 16v inlet manifolds

Steve :scratch:

it is possible to convert a 16v to use a g-lader but it won't be cheap.......best thing to do is give Darren.@ http://www.pd-motorsport.co.uk a bell....he will be able to advise and possibly do the work for you

btw all g-60's are 8-valve

It is quite a huge job converting a regular G60 to a 2.0 16v G60 - limited numbers of these were factory made (Golfs though, not Corrados) and the result is that you can't get many off the shelf parts to do this mod - a lot of stuff has to be custom made and a lot of stuff has to be changed.

Plus, it doesnt really give you enormous power gains.. much better off dropping a 20V 1.8T engine in and retuning that - cheaper, probably more reliable, and much easier to get some extra horses out of it :)

Plus, it doesnt really give you enormous power gains.....

so 286lbs of torque not enough for you then jim !

it would cost around 5Kfor us to put and engine of this spec together but if you done enough reserch you could build it yourself with quite a saving ...

20vt's are gonna be so common why not put a cult engine into a cult vee-dub ..keep the g-lader as it was ment for the corrado and just aint the same without it!!! (sorry all vr owners! :p )

20vt's are gonna be so common why not put a cult engine into a cult vee-dub ..keep the g-lader as it was ment for the corrado and just aint the same without it!!! (sorry all vr owners! :p )

at last someone who can see the future and how all these 1.8t conversions are going to make a 1.8t converted Corrado not as desirable as an original engine'd one.......

i've read that its best to use a 2.0L 16v block and 1.8L 16v head. you want to go with a scirocco intake manifold, can't remember which one.. search for it if you're serious.

you can stick a 1.8L 16v head on the G60 block if you're already rollin with a G60.. need to change to oversized pistons, strengthen the bolts and rods. need to reroute a bunch of boost tubes, etc. you need to deal with alternator mounting..delete AC and put it there or put it behind the engine. this is the easiest way (i think?) to do a 16vG60 conversion and keep digi1... which is what i personally want to use.

have a look on bbm's site, they list some specific parts needed for the conversion.

..now click here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?& ... 94#4927694

..i like my g-charger. the consensus is that reaching over 250bhp on the 8v is difficult.. although 300bhp can be seen with 50mm intakes and exhaust ports. if you want to gain 50% more combustion chamber area and really want to start flowin all that fuel and boost through there, 1.8L 16v head is the way to go.

Plus, it doesnt really give you enormous power gains.....

so 286lbs of torque not enough for you then jim !

it would cost around 5Kfor us to put and engine of this spec together but if you done enough reserch you could build it yourself with quite a saving ...

Guess I shouldnt go by everything I read in magazines then :(

thanks for the help

I plan on doing the mod myself , just looking for info before I make mistakes

Ive had my Corrado G60 for 2 years now had a 16v first Love the car just want more bhp :twisted:

why dont you go turbo, G laders are harder to get and in a few years they will run out but again if you hate lag G60 is good. Than again vw engines arent the best engines to fit a turbo because the position to where the turbo is isnt very favouring and it gets really hot back there 8) . Just get a 20vt transplant or find a cheap 16v engine and start doing the work to it bit by bit if you have time of course and you dont mind getting greassy

*cough* LAG *cough* heh heh :lol:

go 20vt if you can afford it!! ..the lag isn't *too* bad on those..the 225hp TT setup has BALLS.

from what i've been reading... a 20vt conversion will be at least double the cost of what a 16vG60 conversion would be... even more if you're not doin it yourself. wiring/ECU means way more work. if you keep the G60 you keep your wiring and ECU..not to mention that with a 20vt you need the rad, axles, etc to do it right..$$$

Personally I think the 16v G60 is the more expensive conversion. The 20vT is more readily available and is easily mappable/upgradable. Talk to Vince at Stealth - the TT Corrado they have built has approx 270bhp/300lbft. Main ingredients: 225 TT lump, Rallye intercooler, DTA management, G60 gearbox - total is prob near £4k I think.... I suppose it depends on how cheap you can pick up the bits for! :D

Personally I think the 16v G60 is the more expensive conversion. The 20vT is more readily available and is easily mappable/upgradable. Talk to Vince at Stealth - the TT Corrado they have built has approx 270bhp/300lbft. Main ingredients: 225 TT lump, Rallye intercooler, DTA management, G60 gearbox - total is prob near £4k I think.... I suppose it depends on how cheap you can pick up the bits for! :D

i must admit v good value for money !! :p:p is this inc labour?

Hi Darren

Doesn't really include labour as the car is owned by one of the technicians so it was done in between work for 'paying' customers. I think if you can get the engine/box/intercooler/pipework etc fitted, then Stealth will supply/fit/map the DTA management inc rr time for about £1500 IIRC. :wink:

HTH

i can find a 16v for $500.. and thats the most expensive bit.. unless i go for uber pistons! :p

other than some custom brackets, intake elbow, fuel rail... all the bits you can find at the scrap yard easily...or buy on ebay, whatever, for cheap. i think its a lot easier/cheaper to find things like scirocco intake manifolds and mix and match coolant hoses than it is to source all the parts needed to install the (much more complicated) 20vt. not to mention that if you're not doing it yourself.. be ready to fork over another chunk of your wallet for labour to get the ECU and harnesses switched over.

..but maybe i'm wrong. never done it..

if costs were equal.. i'd go with the 20vt.. other than the lag its superior. i just don't see how a 16v conversion could cost half as much as a 20vt conversion. ...plus..i'd rather keep the original G-charger in the car. i agree with darren here.. corrados just aren't the same without it!! :D