timmaaah

Clutch slipping, except it isn't YES IT IS

EDIT - it is slipping, and getting worse :/

I've noticed what seems like a small amount of clutch slip - it's most noticeable if you mash the loud pedal down. The revs seem to rise quicker than the road speed, but only a bit - almost like the clutch is being dipped slightly, or the wheels are spinning up. I'm *fairly* sure the wheels aren't spinning though - seems to happen in all gears, and just for a few seconds.

I can't make the clutch slip - going up a hill at 30mph in fifth with foot flat down causes no slip. Likewise, dipping the clutch and raising it under load also causes no noticeable slip. Putting my foot flat on the accelerator and brakes also causes no slip. There appears to be no stinking clutch smell either - to be fair, burning clutch is a very noticeable smell. The best way I can describe it is it feels like it's scrabbling for grip and spinning slightly before gripping and getting the power down. It's unlikely to be doing that at 30mph in third or fourth though!

Noticed it yesterday - *seemed* to be worse when the car was cold, but I could have imagined that. Just did a 3 mile journey today and the problem seemed to be noticeable for the whole journey.

Clutch was replaced 10k ago and there's a replacement box fitted couple of months ago.

Anyone got any ideas as to what it could be?

Cheers

Edited by timmaaah

Slave cylinder leaking? I "felt" like something similar was happening to mine before I did the timing chains and replaced the clutch at the same time...

I'm fairly sure the bearing was replaced with the clutch. I suppose a small fluid leak could be causing a bit of contamination, but there's no evidence on the outside to show this. How easy is the slave cylinder to remove and inspect? Is there an inspection plate to see the clutch plate?

Cheers :)

It sounds as if something is slowing down the full engagement of the clutch, possibly the release bearing snagging on something.

I replaced my slave cylinder in situ so it shouldn't be that hard to remove for inspection. As I recall it just needed an imaginative combination of sockets and extensions etc.

Right - checked the slave cylinder and no leak. It's deffo slipping now, and getting worse, so I'm going to have to take off the 'box and have a look :rolleyes:

Is there an idiots guide to removing the gearbox please? I had a search, but couldn't come up with anything. If anyone fancies giving me a hand :p :p

Cheers all :)

Not sure if it would cause similar problems to yours, but my release fork snapped, and I remember at the time other people had had the same issue? Worth checking it if you're taking the box off anyway.

If you don't find anything amiss with things as you strip it down I would strongly recommend having your flywheel re-faced (or replaced) - I had a flywheel so knackered at one point I point a new clutch in there and it slipped immediately!