vw bobby

Help in choosing a car

Hi All

I need help in choosing a car.

Basically I have 2 corrado's at the moment. One a 1.8 16v and the other a 1.8t conversion.

I am keeping the 1.8t for my fun, but swapping the 1.8 16v for a everyday car.

So I have been offered 3 cars.

1. BMW 320d 4dr saloon

2. Mk2 Jetta 1.8 16v Gti 4dr

3. Mk2 Golf 2.0 8v Gti 5dr

I am so confused what to go for, what do I do, help please.

Golf or Jetta for me. What you'd save in fuel and tax will come back on you in in parts and possibly labour if you cannot do it yourself. The VW's are simple and easy to work on, so you're more than likely able to fix a problem on your driveway in a short space of time. It depends how many miles you travel day to day, but short journeys and diesels don't don't go well together.

Edited by seanl82

Well my journey daily is 12 miles from door to door from work and back, then its just a bit of town driving. Long distance drive I have a 7 seater for this

I'd want to know mileage, service history, etc and overall condition of the three cars. If you do mega miles, I'd consider the BMW. If you don't do mega miles, I'd consider the MK2. Seems like a rather pointless sidestep though if I'm honest as I can't imagine a 1.8 16v is any more expensive to run every day than the Golf or the Jetta other than insurance being fractionally higher.

Dont suppose you want my 58 plate mk5 golf GT TDI sport!! FSH 140bhp diesel and does 55+mpg on runs and averages 52mpg around town. Looks just like a mk5 GTI

Dont suppose you want my 58 plate mk5 golf GT TDI sport!! FSH 140bhp diesel and does 55+mpg on runs and averages 52mpg around town. Looks just like a mk5 GTI

Chris PM me mate

Well I think you probably know the problems associated with Diesels and short runs then if you're a trained mechanic. If the engine doesn't warm up, DPFs and EGR valves dieing in a very short period is almost a given. I think 6 miles is pretty close to the threshold, but it depends whether you'd be sat in traffic or just on a quick run down the motorway and not giving the engine much time to warm up.

Cheers guy, no pics at the moment, but will do tomorrow.

The colour is Stratos Blue, I believed to believe that this is 1 of 3 Jetta's left in this colour in the UK :thumbleft:

Lovely car alway's had a thing about them but unless you can seriously back up the last 1 of 3 with alot of paperwork with a car like this it will not equate to much now if we were talking a 911 that would be different.

Is that side exit exhaust or just a bad leak. :lol: Good choice though, always liked these. :thumbleft:

Which wheels do I use:

Teledials 7 x 16" all round, but will be fitted with better profile tyres

20131208_180157_zps36d86b35.jpg

Or

D90's 7 & 8 x 16's with brand new 205/40's and 225/40's

20131208_180211_zpsef578014.jpg

My New calipers:

20131209_193703_zps4a2e293d.jpg

Started stripping the top end off to do the head gasket, this is the results.

Also I have never come across this, but is it normal, on my KR engine, I have a timing belt and timing chain?

20131209_193537_zpsbf0b2927.jpg

20131209_193513_zps85c0df5b.jpg

Ya, the chain is standard on the kr. Just connects the cams.

Metering head could do with a bit of a clean!

Ya, the chain is standard on the kr. Just connects the cams.

Metering head could do with a bit of a clean!

Oh cool, cheers for that mate,

Do you know how far the chain goes?

As I will need to release it to take the head off?

It just goes around the 2 sprockets on the end of the cams. It's only short. I think there's a notch on each sprocket that line up with each other when fitting/removing.