P3rks

Gasket sealant for the timing cover?

Hey you guuyyyysss!

Regarding the top timing cover; I believe they don't have a gasket and you have to use sealant, can anyone recommend the best one to use?

Thanks!

The VW stuff is white, and is uber expensive apparently. There is a loctite alternative available from Halfords though from what I remember. 381 or something like that anyway......

VW use the white stuff on the sump and a Loctite black silicon for the side covers. Can't remember the number though, I'll try and dig it out.

Thanks lads.

Kevin, try and dig it out please.

Also, what's the best application method for it?

Ah, found it. Loctite 5900 flange sealant. Alternatively, as mentioned, Halfords sell Loctite 5910 which will work just as well.

The dealer supplied stuff comes in a syringe, so easy to apply.

I just use a hylomar blue non setting gasket type thing, can get it from most petrol stations. Never had an issue and done mine 3 times now.

I've used this on mk4 sump and have also used the white VW stuff, the Dirko-Elring sealant is pretty much as good as the VW stuff and it worked well on my Corrado gearbox selector tower bottom bearing cap too.

Not sure why VW would spec a different sealant for side covers though???

Nice one guys!

Loads of options then.

As for the application though? Use sparingly? Loads? Wait for it to tack or tighten it wet?

I can see why VW specify a heavier duty sealant for the side covers on the VR6. The join between the upper and lower covers is prone to leaking and you need a good dollop of heavy duty stuff, applied in the right place, to stop it.

The white sump stuff is a latex blend. The excess sealant doesn't fall off and clog up oil pumps.

Don't apply loads! A nice even thin layer.

Edited by Kevin Bacon

Nice one guys!

Loads of options then.

As for the application though? Use sparingly? Loads? Wait for it to tack or tighten it wet?

I think the dirko stuff said wet-on-wet, so I put a thin bead on both sump and block and bolted straight up, left overnight before running but I don't think it needs that long.

Use sparingly though, as on most flat surfaces you'll just squeeze loads out of the sides and you don't want bits of sealant possibly coming off inside the engine.

just make sure both surfaces are clean and free from oil, brake cleaner's perfect for this, I recently had to do my timing chain cover as it was leaking , iv only done the upper and when I split it apart there didn't appear to be any sealant, really gutted that I didn't remove both covers when I fitted that engine {24v} it didn't cross my mind at the time :( ah well when I eventually need to replace the clutch i'll re seal both

Thanks so much for the tips boys.

That's one more thing off the list of things to do. :)