Jamie

Liftmaster Jacks

My trusty Halfords trolley jack has finally given up the ghost - I've only had it 32 years! So I'm on the look out for another budget low entry jack. Don't use them that often so not after anything too amazing. This is the one I'm looking at

http://www.lftauto.co.uk/epages/BT3814.mobile/?ObjectPath=/Shops/BT3814/Products/004&Locale=en_GB

Anyone any experience of these?

Does yours have the LEDs and sockets with it Carrots? Will probably never use either but just thought they'd be handy...

Are you happy with it?

I had one of those cheap ebay trolley jacks a.few years ago. Admittedly it was being used on an uneven surface, but both rear casters bent, then the seal on the pressure release went after about 6 months. Luckily I noticed before getting under the car! Personally I'd never get one of those again. Invest a bit more and it will last you a long long time.

Does yours have the LEDs and sockets with it Carrots? Will probably never use either but just thought they'd be handy...

Are you happy with it?

no mine has not got leds or sockets

I have the alloy low profile sgs engineering one. They come with decent warrenty. Was about £100 with axle stands. I like it. only thing I notice is that you have to put in more effort to jack up car. But only a small issue.

Been looking at the cheaper SGS ones and was pretty impressed with the reviews but they're the same as the Halfords low entry ones which don't quite go under my car. The liftmaster one I'm looking at is 10mm lower so should go under fine.

Been doing a bit of reading up on them and as with most internet reviews, for every good one there's a bad one... :D

Another +1 for the SGS... I bought one last summer. I kept 1/2 the handle off my (also historic Halfords effort) old jack to double the length of the SGS's VERY short handle. Being able to swivel the handle's a fantastic thing in a tight garage/driveway near the hedge etc!

Been looking at the cheaper SGS ones and was pretty impressed with the reviews but they're the same as the Halfords low entry ones which don't quite go under my car. The liftmaster one I'm looking at is 10mm lower so should go under fine.

Been doing a bit of reading up on them and as with most internet reviews, for every good one there's a bad one... :D

This is the one i have, fits under my lowered car, i used to have to use the standard jack to raise car up a bit before i could fit the halfords jack under.

Or just take a small bit of wood in the boot and drive onto that if you need to use it. I bought a Clarke 2.25ton from ebay recently with the handle acting as a wheel bolt spanner and two sockets. Its doing fine so far and like the soft cover for the jacking point.

I got a couple of Clarke (steel) low entry jobs from Machine Mart and they were cheap.

I had an alloy Low entry one when they first came out and that was utter ****e.

Or just take a small bit of wood in the boot and drive onto that if you need to use it. I bought a Clarke 2.25ton from ebay recently with the handle acting as a wheel bolt spanner and two sockets. Its doing fine so far and like the soft cover for the jacking point.

This sounds just like the Liftmaster one I'm looking at.

Was reading a thread on E38 by someone who's in the jack manufacturing industry and said all the cheap jacks are made in the same factory in China so whether you have a Halfords, Clarke, Liftmaster or whatever they're pretty much all the same.

Just bought the one in my op. Got it on eBay for £25. Looks really well put together, especially for the money. Will see how long it lasts but first impressions are very good and the led bit is an excellent idea.

Just bought the one in my op. Got it on eBay for £25. Looks really well put together, especially for the money. Will see how long it lasts but first impressions are very good and the led bit is an excellent idea.

Can you post a link to them on ebay?

You must think I'm stalking you on ebay. I just bought the mirrors aswell.

\Paddy

Haha - I take it as a compliment Paddy :lol:

There aren't any new ones listed for sale on eBay at the moment but your best bet would be the link in my op, they're £5 cheaper than they usually are on eBay