ChrisL

Engine removal guide anywhere?

Does anyone know if there is an engine removal guide anywhere or if anyone can give me some pointers? anything tricky?

Also, does the gearbox come away from the engine easy?

Any help greatly appreciated.

what engine? yes the gear box seperates easy, you just unbolt it , anything tricky? not really but at the time you all way's kinda think your going to forget where stuff goes back but when its time to re fit everything it goes back in its place, it will be tricky if you don't have an engine crane, best to jack up font end and place axle stands under the sub frame on the flat sections by the wishbone bolt then remove front end once that's done [takes less then 30mins} you can disconnect everything like driveshafts , wiring plugs ,exhaust , fuel lines, etc etc and then roll out the engine and gearbox as one unit, just take photos And label any electrical plugs that may look otherwise lost later on, any bolts you remove put them back in so you know where they came from, take note of different length bolts for certain things like the gearbox , your be fine it is kinda nerve racking when you remove your own engine for the first time especially when its running ok but take your time and label stuff and put stuff together in sections like put all the front end stuff together in a different area to the engine stuff so its not moddled up in one big pile for example..

Brilliant thanks. Its a VR6 engine.

Does the flywheel need to be split to get the gearbox off or does it just unbolt and pull apart please?

Once the engine and box are out it's just a few bolts to get the box off. The flywheel is behind the box with the clutch. Don't drop the starter motor on your nose like I did though, it REALLY hurts :lol:

How did you manage to drop the starter motor on your nose???????

My car is on 67k miles, is it worth changing the clutch and water pump?

If you're going to take the engine out then you could, but then you may as well do the chains/guides too, etc etc. Slippery slope!

If you're going to take the engine out then you could, but then you may as well do the chains/guides too, etc etc. Slippery slope!

My plan was / is to put the 263's in but not going to happen this year so will do the chains/guides then. Can the chains/guides be done with the engine in the car?

My plan was / is to put the 263's in but not going to happen this year so will do the chains/guides then. Can the chains/guides be done with the engine in the car?

I believe so, but I think you'll have to split/remove the gearbox and possibly the clutch too in order to change them (I'm sure someone more in the know can confirm), so if you're going to take the engine out and change the clutch then it would be well worth doing it all in one go IMO

I'm almost finished putting my car back together after an engine out job.

1) Take lots of photos of how things fit together, you think it's going to take a couple of weeks and you find yourself putting it back together 6 months later....

2) Buy some zip-loc bags from the supermarket. For each part or small job put the bolts in a separate bag with a clear label, this saved me no end of pain.

3) I used masking tape to label up wiring loom connectors, water pipes etc.

I found that with the engine on a table/stand I could support the weight of the gearbox using an engine crane and then it would slide on/off the engine quite easily. This was with a 2.0 16v.

Neil

Can the chains/guides be done with the engine in the car?

yes but don't even bother trying, its no fun trying to wrestle a gearbox out from under the car let alone getting it back in, spend the extra 1-2 hours in removing the whole engine/box complete , gearbox just un bolts from the engine and then pulls off as the axle from the gearbox sits in it, the clutch is bolted to the fly wheel and the flywheel is bolted to the engine, new flywheel and clutch bolts is needed everytime you remove them, replace timing chains + guides + crank seal + clutch and make sure you seal up the timing chain casing real good so it doesn't slowly leak oil causing you to go f-in mental when you get it all back together.. here have a read through this , http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=84672

Thanks chaps, Engine is definately coming out but I think I'm going to leave the clutch and chains in place this year, get some cams for next winter and do it all then. I think the costs of what I've got planned on the cleaning side will use my budget.