Roger Chatfield

Headlight uprated looms, possible different solution.

As everybody knows the headlights on the Rado are very poor and normal solution is to use a upgraded loom with relays so the power is coming directly from the battery.

So, I've decided to build my own loom using 4 relays (one for each circuit) but I'm a little concerned about having the relays exposed to the elements in the engine bay..... however whilst having a poke around the actual light units I've noticed that there is a fair bit of room behind the main beam.

IMG_3891_zps038d582f.jpg

And the two relays are not that big.

IMG_3893_zps5b6b2707.jpg

And fit quite is the space.

IMG_3894_zps62d20964.jpg

My plan is to fit the relays in the light unit and just have two wires coming out of a small hole drilled in the unit for 12v (direct from battery via a fuse) and earth.

This way I can keep the relays nice and dry and also reduce the amount of additional wiring under the bonnet.

What do the 'collective' think... genius idea or 'keep taking the tablets Rog'

Rog.

I simply put the relay part of the loom into a waterproof box from Maplins - the cables come out through some kind of round connector. HAs worked well for me.

Good idea, I've got micro relays all attached to one plate and inside a waterproof container. Similar idea but no drilling of oe equipment reqd.

On a phone so can't really see the pics but headlights get hot so will this affect the relays?

On a phone so can't really see the pics but headlights get hot so will this affect the relays?

I did think that but it also get pretty hot in the engine bay so I'm hoping the relays will cope, also the rear of the lights are made from plastic and show no signs of heat damage so I'm thinking that while the lights do get hot I don't think they get 'that' hot.

Rog.