seanl82

Air tools - talk to me............

I've been given permission to spend some cash on air tools for the car club in work. I do have a budget, so the likes of snap-on, blue point etc are probably a bit beyond it. That said, it needs to be good quality stuff and robust enough to stand up to likely abuse. With that, I don't want SIP, Sealey and other such "budget" brands if they won't last 5 minutes. I've seen a few Ingersoll Rand items that I believe are decent, but if anyone has any experience or can advise on what would be a decent mid range manufacturer it would be much appreciated. Equally if anyone knows a good place to buy that would be great, but it would have to be a registered outlet with an online store and direct phone number really.

Thanks all!

Ingersoll Rand are supposed to be good. Also check out Chicago Pneumatic. I have a CP impact gun, and it is a very nice bit of kit.

i've bought quite a few Sealey tools over the years and had no problem with them, got an air gun and wrench and they've served me well, can dismantle the front struts in about 5 mins a side if they are not seized. Well worth the money!

I've got a Blue Point gun I got for a tenner from a bloke on the CRX forum, awesome bit of kit however I've just managed to rescue a Dewalt battery impact gun from the bin at work... maybe not as powerful as the air gun but way more versatile.

In fact in work most of our impact guns are now battery, the new 18 volt stuff is awesome, I'd spend my money of one of those.

BTW are there no air tools in the car club these days, was loads when I was there (16 odd years ago...lol)

Rog.

They're probably the same ones you used back then Rog! Some seized, most leaking, others broken, and none been oiled/maintained in many a year. Maybe a chipper hammer and a DA sander that can be salvaged as I don't think they've ever been used, but that's about it! A few people have recommended the Sealey stuff from Machine Mart actually, and I suppose it's not like it's gonna be in constant use so may as well go with that so I can spend more on other things. Was gonna get some decent industrial garage floor paint, but at around £3 per metre square, and a workshop of 104 metres squared, two coats works out.........lots!

(Yes I know how much, it was a joke!). Pointless getting standard garage paint from Homebase and the like, as it'll just lift within a few months. I'm going o apply to the Nuffield Trust for some funding to spruce it up a bit instead. Need a 20 ton press, and a few little odds and sods, and that my £972 budget gone!