Roger Chatfield

Bit of plastic jammed in throttle body

So I was warming my engine up after fitting my replacement oil cooler, I was 'blipping' the throttle with my hand in the engine bay when all of a sudden it jammed open and the engine started bouncing off the limiter... I quickly switched off and unjammed the throttle, not sure what jammed it open.

Started up again and straight away it started revving so switched off straight away, TBH I thought the throttle plate spindle may have broken however once I removed the intake pipe I found this:

IMG_4257_zps759ace1d.jpg

It's a bit of plastic that has jammed the throttle open, I was so lucky that it hasn't been sucked into the engine.

Here are some pics of it.

IMG_4259_zps7ad4e487.jpg

IMG_4258_zpsa2b2fa60.jpg

IMG_4260_zps215f4965.jpg

IMG_4261_zps8aa152fa.jpg

I haven't a clue where it has come from, there is nothing in the induction pipe or flow sensor housing and it couldn't have come from the airbox as there is a grill on the air flow sensor housing that stops anything entering the induction pipe.

Anyone have any idea's.

Rog.

I think that is a part of the clip that secure the fuel pipes to the rocker cover .. No idea how it would get in there though..

Could have been nasty for the engine or even nastier if you were driving at the time and the throttle got stuck open.

Thanks for the replies fella's.

With your help I have been able find the source of the culprit.

IMG_4262_zps89dfdaed.jpg

How the hell it managed to get into the induction pipe I'll never know, I have had the meter head off once about a month ago when I test fitted my BMC so maybe it flicked off into the pipe then.. god only knows.

It was covered in oil from the crankcase breather so I guess it's been there awhile..

All I can say is I've been bloody lucky.

Rog.

Very odd.

Don't think either of my pipe clamps have that bit on them anymore. Hopefully not lodged in the same place :(