Roger Chatfield

Removing cams, tips please

Evening all, I'm planning on replacing my lifters/tappets soon and was after some advice and tips on removing the cams.

I've removed cams on a belt driven engine before but have never done a VR6 engine so would appreciate any tips.

Cheers

Rog.

Have a look in the wiki section on the chain replacement guide Rog, should give you most of the information you need from there mate.

As said the guide is good..

Use locking plates, i did a set a number of years ago without, not as easy.

Use of plate plus the mark on the crank pulley(remove the plastic trim piece behind the OSF wheel arch to see) and the timing mark when you look down inside the chains means you can't go wrong. If they all line up then its set up correctly.

The cams with sprockets still attached are fiddly to get out under the chain but it is doable, just take your time.

Thats just a few things i can think of off the top of my head, as you go it will all become clear..

How long roughly should it take to swop the cams? I had the engine out when I did the chains on mine so it was easy at the time. This time everything's in the car.