robrado974

tax without mot , hows that work ?

Afternoon .

I put the car in for an mot this afternoon . On the way back to the centre i got dropped off at the post office . The last time i went to get tax i forgot my ins docs and she would not give me a tax disc as it was not computerised in that post office yet ,so she could not tell if i was insured ,this was last year . Went to the same office today ,as if the car had passed i wouldnt have to leave it by the main office while i got tax and knowing my luck i would get nicked for no tax while i was inside . She said we are all computerised now so i only need the V5 . I told her i was only checking to see if i could get tax without my info , she scanned the V5 and gladly gave me a tax disc . Happy i walked to the mot station , only to be told it had failed on immissions . How did i get tax when the car had failed ?. The only thing i can think of is the car was sorn while it still had an mot , but i would have thought the computer would have known the mot had expired ? .Anyone know how this has happened ?

Rob

Strange one that, even declares on the website that you cannot tax without valid MOT certificate, and if it was computerised they'd surely know.......

Sad news on the failure Rob, was it far off? Whats the prognosis, just a lambda or something, or does it just need a good Italian tune up to blow the old cobwebs away as its been stood so long!

Hi sean , yep me mate put some glug in the tank , said it needs a good run , it was quite high . The bloke from the mot centre said he will drive it in next saturday and it should be ok . I checked my old mot when i got home as they said you must have some mot still running and thats why they issued the tax . It ran out in november last year !.

Rob

Rob, I wonder if your car needs the ecu reset procedure carrying out, as I understand it if the battery has been disconnected this needs to be done.

Rog.