Sign in to follow this  
NormanCoal

Enlarged throttle body

In conjunction with a Schrick and a remap, yes.

I noticed a big difference using the Schrick with and without the AmD TB. Most noticably in the bottom end. The car feels ready for the next gear a lot sooner that normal, especially in 1st. Much better pull at 4000+ too.

Cheers for that Kev :) - I guess with the top end wanting to breathe more, the larger volume of the TB helps a little. Something else to add to the list

Worth doing on own Kev?

As you know mine is coming apart shortly (will be inspecting tensioners, etc) so could make some worthwhile additions although a schrick manifold is a defo no-no with the other jobs that need doing :lol:

I assume they have just enlarged the butterfly area?

Scott.

I don't know to be honest Scott. I would imagine so as it made a big difference with the Schrick, so you'll surely get an improvement on a standard engine, but it must be remapped to suit.

Yeah they enlarged the butterfly (hard to see with the naked eye tho!) and smoothed it all out so there's no step in the bore anymore. It flows 17% more air than the standard one, so it does work.

With the schrick it kicks arse, with cams...... hmmmm...... could be next on the shopping list :lol:

I wouldn't have throught a bigger TB would make much difference (except lose you some low end torque) unless you do some headwork, bigger valves and a lairier cam.

Theres a guy on ebay that does the throttle bodies to the same spec as amd, with a larger butterfly. I think his username is Alpina527 and he seems to be highly recommended on BMW forums.

I think he charges about £100 exchange so a good deal cheaper than amd, ill be getting one when ive got some cash together.

Well done Joe, some good info, AGAIN!

I wonder if the throttle comes from a BMW of some sort then? Wouldn't surprise me......

£100 is very good value.

I'll take a pic of mine next time it's off but you can clearly see the differences. The butterfly spindle is also flowed to allow more air through at WOT. Quite a lot of work goes into them.

K

Not sure if they come off a bm, I reckon he can modify most throttle bodies. Ive sent an email asking for more info so ill post it up once he gets back to me.

Cheers Kev - will be watching this thread then.

Will be doing a few odd jobs (rust proofing the front cross member for one!) so might as well do the lot whilst in bits! 8) :lol:

That's what I initially thought but it seems they take out the 2.9 aswell. I've had the 2.9 and AMD TBs side-by-side and the AMD is definitely bigger. Not a hell of a lot so as there's not much metal to play with on the standard TB, but even so, they rework it to give 17% more flow than a stock 2.9 TB. And *considerably* more than the stock pre-highline 2.8 TB.

K

Some fella on here who my mate bought a VGI off at Inters had one for sale. Can't for the life of me remeber his name though (John?). it's the fella who has about 4 corrado's, he was parked up on the CCGB stand with a blue G60.

Alpina 527 just got back to me.

Hi Joe.

Yes, I still do the bodies. I am packing to go on holiday for a week, so I must be brief, sorry.

The bodies are £120 exchange inc postage. I can accept Paypal, cash, or cheque.

The quality is top notch, even if I say so myself.

I can be contacted on this email address after the 7th or I can be reached by text on 07968391056.

Which forum is it?

Thanks, Ian

Ill be getting one as soon as ive got the cash together. 8)

I bought one off Ian (Alpina527) last night, 125quid all in (fiver was too cover PayPal charges) hes posting it to me today so ill post here again on Monday when it arrives!

Unfortunately that was his last TB for the time being (he mostly concentrates on BMW these days) however ill be posting mine to him (as an exchange unit) before he returns from his Hols so realistically one of you lucky blighters could be putting my old TB to use in a fortnights time!

Anyone got a ball park figure what sort of figures ill be lookin at with all these mods ?

Shek VSR, gas-flowed TB,Shrick 268's, Miltek De-cat exhuast with K&N panel filter and Remap piggy back chip from Stealth. :roll:

Its quite easy to do yourself.I did mine with a dremel on my 16v.Not sure about vr tho.

I didnt notice a difference on standard engine but hope it helps when i have my new cams fitted and a stealth tune

Johnboy,

I was at Stealth a couple of weeks and there was a Corrado VR6 there with similar spec to yours, 268s, Shrek, Carbon CDA, Piggy-back remap etc but no Throttle body and that gave 223bhp. I reckon yours is giving at least that, perhaps a bit more with the throttle.