robrado974

Will heat damage new paint under the bonnet ?

Im having my bonnet painted soon , the underside is being painted too as its a bit messy . I bought the new sound deadening heat protector foam in the group buy recently .When i went to see the bloke in the paintshop he mentioned it would look really nice to be left in paint , which i thought would be nice too. But with the heat of the VR6 engine , would it dull the new paint after a while ?. I didnt think to ask at the time , as i was a bit rushed .Regards

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Only bonnets I've seen damaged by the engine are on the outside when there has been a serious overheat or engine fire...

Not sure you'kk need to paint the underside, should be mint once degreased and foam removed etc

Thanks for replies , the under side has some rust and is generally scabby really , that's the reason I'm having it done .

the only thing though is when it rains you'll see some steam coming off the bonnet - which is always a bit alarming with cars of our age...

Will look out for that Hassan , thanks for the tip . Nice of you to mention it , I can see visions of me now pulling over , thinking one of the hoses had gone !

Rob

I have no heat shielding under the hood and had it painted over a year ago and no fading or issues (it is a g60 mind you)

be aware that respray jobs tend to be less durable than factory.... as I know too well :(

Yes, agreed, I've learned also it's always best to sand prime the clear anything or else it doesn't last as long.

be aware that respray jobs tend to be less durable than factory.... as I know too well :(

Will do Vag , I've been recommended to someone near me , been down to have a chat and very happy to use him . He is very OCD to say the least !

Rob

My guy is awesome too Rob..... what cant be helped is the paint will never be as hard as factory :(

Its nice and shiny but will pick up imperfections easier than before.

Ive heard Chemical makeup, water based vs. Solvent is a factor.

Application, it will always be thicker when resprayed.

I am not too up on my paint either mate nor do I want to put you off, just speaking from experience. They do look sexy with new paint though ;)