Sign in to follow this  
pablo_vr6

200bhp from a vr6?

hi all first post here so saying hi :)

Im buying a corrado vr6 a week on monday and Im already thinkiing about making it faster.

Id like to get it over the mystical 200bhp mark but wonder whats the easiest and cheapest way to do this?

filter mods?

decat?

exhaust?

throttle body?

any advice appreciated :)

Schrick, re-chip, cams, cold air induction, larger TB.

Depends on budget :)

Some VRs already give 200 as standard, some even more than that! We have a member with 212bhp from a standard one.

What you need is a schrick manifold, some 268 cams, a throttle body and a remap. That will take you well into 200 bhp territory, but it ain't cheap!

K

cheap is good!

I suppose getting it RRed first and going from there is the best plan :)

does decatting work? Its a relatively easy thing to do so would be up the list.

thanks for the replies :)

Yeah get it dyno'd first. Mine gave 200bhp and 193lb/ft in March last year when standard.

De-catting won't liberate much on a standard engine, and nor will an exhaust and filter.

Put the money towards the afore mentioned instead.

K

Get it chipped, its probably the easiest and cheapest option (I think/hope). Usually about £250 and it will easily get it past the 200 bhp mark. Had mine done about two months ago. Gives 205 bhp and 195lb/ft torque. One of the best things I've ever done with it, so far anyway 8)

simon

who did the chipping? Im in NI so the likes of AMD are out ut the superchips (shudder) site says 13bhp for £293

or is there someplace that I can send the ECU to to get shipped or even DIY it?

thanks

-pablo

Star Performance did the chipping. They are in Glenrothes. Superchips :pukeright: . Emmm, there must be some place that you can send it. Not sure where though.

simon

Im convinced a decat will make a decent improvement on a vr. Dick Dastardleys vr made 190 on the rollers before decat and mine made 205 before schrick. On the way to knockhill the other night with them mods added I couldnt keep up. :o

Decats next on my list with a throttle body after my mot next week, ill let you know if I notice much improvement. 8)

Think a decat will only make a difference in conjuction with other mods. The corrado already has a high flow cat so there's not much to be gained unless the breathing is improved.

A Shrick VGI/VW Motorsport VSR, plus 268 cam and a re-map will break 200bhp with ease. More like 225bhp+ but your wallet will feel it.

Having had the VGI, VSR, Shrick 268 cams, re-map, Miltek sports cat and back box I can say this with a fair degree of confidence! :-P

Why do you want 200bhp? Bragging rights? Its a serious question because the mods you list don't do a great deal to increase bhp but do increase throttle response and exhaust noise/sound.

How much do you have to spend too?

Cheers

Kieron

96 VR6 (VWM VSR, ex-268s, AmD re-map etc,etc,etc. :wink: )

91 G60

wanting to spend as little as possible but I have a thing about 200bhp - not so much to brag I just see it as a performance milestone :)

couple of hundred tops really.

Afternoon Kieron! - I'm not sure whether to welcome you to the forum or wish you a happy first forum birthday, seeing as though you've nearly been here a year!

If you goto your profile, you can enter all your car details as a signature to save you posting them each time. Sorry if this is something you already know :)

wanting to spend as little as possible but I have a thing about 200bhp - not so much to brag I just see it as a performance milestone :)

As mentioned before, your car might already be giving 200bhp, so get it on the rollers to begin with and see how healthy the engine is.

As mentioned before, your car might already be giving 200bhp, so get it on the rollers to begin with and see how healthy the engine is.

Or conversely, it could be putting out 160bhp, in which case I think money will need to be allocated elsewhere! :?

I'd save your money for something else then. Seriously if you just spend £200 you'll get bugger all for it and you'll feel like you've been mugged.

A re-map might take it to 200bhp, depends what your car is currently running, but that is almost £400. Don't waste your money on a re-chip, make sure its a re-map, otherwise your replacing VW's "one size fits all ECU map" with another companies vision of "one size fits all".

Its probably not what you want to hear but If you've £200 burning a hole spend it on engine mounts, as they are probably worn by now (http://www.turn2usa.com do some good ones and they ship very quickly to England), or decent tyres and forget about the 200bhp figure. Alternatively don't spend it and save up for decent suspension first.

Afternoon Kieron! - I'm not sure whether to welcome you to the forum or wish you a happy first forum birthday, seeing as though you've nearly been here a year!

If you goto your profile, you can enter all your car details as a signature to save you posting them each time. Sorry if this is something you already know :)

Afternoon!

Yeah been a while eh?! Work has/had taken over. The days of posting constantly about the Corrado have long gone but hopefully I can pass on some pearls of wisdom having spent the national gdp of a small African nation on various mods to the VR6 over the years! :lol:

has new blistein suspension fitted so thats not a worry.

what about air intake mods? Anything that can be done here?

Not really after much more to be honest - just a stupid thing I have :)

having spent the national gdp of a small African nation on various mods to the VR6 over the years! :lol:

No that's me....... :wink:

has new blistein suspension fitted so thats not a worry.

what about air intake mods? Anything that can be done here?

Not really after much more to be honest - just a stupid thing I have :)

Yep and its cheap. Won't make much more than 2-3bhp but will make more noise.

As others have said stick it on the rollers first and you might be suprised.

No don't drill the airbox......

That ridiculous mod winds me up something chronic and butchery of expensive parts has no place on a Corrado.

No don't drill the airbox......

That ridiculous mod winds me up something chronic and butchery of expensive parts has no place on a Corrado.

I've removed the snorkel inside the box, removed the CC and then drilled a section out of the airbox over the hole left by the CC so as to draw in colder, denser air.

Is that allowed? ;) :p