Hawkesybaby

brake replacement VR6 query

Im brand new to the corrado scene so am trying to navigate my way through a "new" car...

looking at upgrading my pads discs hoses and fluid

nothing too spectacular some vented discs and better than stock pads, braided hoses and ive heard dot 5.1 fluid is the one.

Any reccomendations?

Also my brakes feel as though they are binding slightly and im worried it could be caliper or can a quick freshen up of the old parts be enough? It has been sat over the winter according to previous owner.

Any advice/tips etc very welcome!

The best thing i think i did to mine was upgrading the fronts to 288 discs and calipers and the rears to mk4 calipers, its about the only part of the car i've changed and never had a problem with since.

Ive heard alot about the brake upgrade but I dont want to go that, budget wise and hassle wise etc

apec pads n discs? Brembo? Pagid? Anyone with any experience?

To be honest, it depends on how you drive/maintain the car.

If you're going to 'boy race' around then go for the mk4 upgrade with braided hoses and dot 5.1 fluid. As you will be replacing warped discs and pads every 6mths or so.

But if just cruise around most of the time (and every once in a while boot it on a sunday blast, like me) I've got bosch discs, pagid pads with castrol fluid, and with a bit of a clean and grease every service I never had a problem with feel/fade/judder.

Hope this helps.

Just an upgrade to MK3 Golf 288mm brakes will see substantially better stopping power. I'd take this route using OEM discs and pads.

Can get some 288 caliper for about £50 a pair these day, then worth stripping them and rebuilding, its only a couple of seals.

Brakes are a subjective thing, if you find that they don't match your driving style, racer or not, then no amount of servicing will keep them feeling great. I had standard brakes in my last Corrado and gave them hell from time to time, including quite a few Nurburgring laps! I never really had faults with them, they would always work, but then I would drive a modern car and realise how much of a poor feel they had with long term performance lacking.

I made the jump to 312 brakes and instantly regretted it as I never fitted the braided lines and the spongy pedal would never go away.

On my current Corrado, I have fitted 288 brakes (same caliper as 312) along with braided lines and the upgraded Teves20 system which has a slightly bigger servo and master cylinder and so much as I haven't driven it past the end of my Cul-de-sac and it needs a final bleed, the initial bite and feeling is already so much better than I have ever felt in a Corrado with any brakes, apart from big brake conversions that is!

I'm sure fitting braided lines on a stock setup would make a marked difference and I don't think the standard system is up to having 5.1 put through it. I may be wrong and I often am, but I'm sure that 5.1 will rot the seals in the brake system. Good branded standard spec brake fluid will do wonders compared to cheap Halfords stuff!

Just an upgrade to MK3 Golf 288mm brakes will see substantially better stopping power. I'd take this route using OEM discs and pads.

This is a very popular & easy solution. As said before save your money & dont bother "upgrading" to other 280mm discs/ pads.

Believe you need the brake calipers, carriers, pads, discs, and brake hoses. I'd buy the friction components new of course, and source the rest from a breakers.

Calipers and carriers from what though dude?

Late Mk3 Golf GTI (earlier ones had 280mm same as the Corrado).

Ian.

I've got loads of 288 front calipers and carriers, I'll do them for £40 posted to you if you want them. Will chuck in a set of mk4 rears for an extra £20 as well.

Cheers

Tom

Sorry to butt in but Tom, if you have a spare set of these (after hawkesybaby has decided obviously), then I'd be interested.

If you're referring to the 288's then yes, I have plenty of sets. I've got about 10 sets of 312's as well, plus around 15 sets of mk4 rears. All are for sale I just haven't got round to advertising them!

I've got loads of 288 front calipers and carriers, I'll do them for £40 posted to you if you want them. Will chuck in a set of mk4 rears for an extra £20 as well.

Cheers

Tom

Both front and rears are a direct replacement like for like no messing around etc?

At 60 delivered id be daft to say no haha

Yep, the only thing you'll need are the braided conversion hoses for the calipers front and rear which come as a set from C&R Enterprises at around £60 I believe. Obviously you'll need to replace the front discs and pads (late spec mk3 GTi or VR6 - *NOT* mk4 as the disc offset is different).

You retain the rear discs, pads and carriers, just unbolt the caliper, change the hose, bleed the system and away you go!

If you want them at £60 delivered for fronts and rears drop me a PM and we'll sort out payment via PayPal.

Cheers

Tom

By late spec what years are they? or as long as it says 288mm is that fine?

I bet i sound like a right noob lol!!!

Mk3 + 288mm= the ones you need. :)

You can also run 5.1 if you wish , iv done the 312 conversion and used braided lines and dot. 5.1 and its been fine , do some research but im pretty sure that dot four boils easier .... Dot five will rot seals ..... Dot 5.1 will stand up to higher temps and wont rot seals

Hope that helps