Hawkesybaby

brake replacement VR6 query

Yep, the only thing you'll need are the braided conversion hoses for the calipers front and rear which come as a set from C&R Enterprises at around £60 I believe. Obviously you'll need to replace the front discs and pads (late spec mk3 GTi or VR6 - *NOT* mk4 as the disc offset is different

Just spoke to these guys and he said they are all 288mm anyway and will cost me 115 squids???

I was told the calipers should come off a 1995 onwards golf or the highline version is a safe bet, deffo had 288's. I used the cheapy brembo discs and just some normal pads, i did have a thread somewhere but think the photos got moved.

Just some general information i have gathered from replacing all my brakes......Will update this thread as i go along, at this moment i'm just gathering all the bits and pieces i think i need.

A popular modification to the corrado is upgrading the front brakes from 280mm to 288mm.

You will need:

288mm CALIPERS & CARRIERS - These can be from a late golf VR6 95onwards or a Passat VR6. (i'm using golf ones)

DSC00622.jpg

DISCS - To suit calipers you have chosen..

(i got plain brembo vented discs, again from a 95onwards golf VR6)

DSC01150.jpg

PADS - To suit calipers you have chosen.

DSC01149.jpg

HOSES - I am using a set for a mk3 golf VR6 95onwards which have a banjo fitting, the passat calipers use a screw fitting i'm told (same as the corrado calipers)

DSC01145.jpg

REBUILDING THE CALIPERS

When mine arrived they were 2nd hand a bit grubby, they are simple to dismantle into pieces, the pistons just pop out if you connect a foot pump to the calipers and pump them out.

You should have all these pieces shown in photo, the old bits of hoses aren't important but useful to connect the foot pump to when getting pistons out.

DSC00297.jpg

After a wire brush and a bit of elbow grease.

DSC00299.jpg

here is the lipped egde on the piston bore that the rubber seals fix to, they just pull out.

DSC00530.jpg

After a bit of dremel action they come up much cleaner, ready for painting.

DSC00623-1.jpg

Caliper painted, just brushed on some hammerite smooth.

DSC00679.jpg

I ordered my new seals and bits from VW.

Caliper Rebuild Kit (For Golf VR6 1997/98) -VW Part no: 3A0698471 - Set of seals = £12.51 inc vat, per side. This includes the Piston Seals & Piston Dust Covers

DSC00486.jpg

Guide bushes (For Golf VR6 1997/98) -VW Part no: 4D0 698 647 - you need 2 for each side, so order twice.

DSC01144.jpg

Calipers all reassembled, i left one surface unpainted and just smeared a coating of copper slip over that

DSC01154.jpg

DSC01153.jpg

Pics might be in wrong order, just tried to link them all again, in a rush :lol:

• Like 1

Just spoke to these guys and he said they are all 288mm anyway and will cost me 115 squids???

That's for the correct 6 line set (banjo fittings front and rear), front pair, rear pair and body to rear axle pair, do it once and do it right.

Bear in mind the front brakes you remove will sell on as G60 spec calipers and carriers £30 - £60 to get some of your money back and the rears will also sell for £20 or so if fully functional?

Its a no brainer to upgrade IMO

60 + postage for a full six hose set zinc coated. £98 for SS, and a couple of quid more if you want a coloured sleeve.

Just ordered-

Calipers and carriers

front 288mm Pagid discs and pads

CnR braided hose conversion kit

the rear mk4 set up do i need mk4 brakes or can i use standard corrado vr6 ones? 226mm?

Thanks

Just ordered-

Calipers and carriers

front 288mm Pagid discs and pads

CnR braided hose conversion kit

the rear mk4 set up do i need mk4 brakes or can i use standard corrado vr6 ones? 226mm?

Thanks

everything is the same apart from the MK4 caliper and banjo flexi pipe. depending which caliper you buy you may need to modify the handbrake lever for the cable.... mk4 had a ball end to the cable the corrado has a cylindrical end.

may be of interest

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=40893

Edited by delfinis38

I've got loads of 288 front calipers and carriers, I'll do them for £40 posted to you if you want them. Will chuck in a set of mk4 rears for an extra £20 as well.

Cheers

Tom

Sorry to crash in here however can you keep set of front and rears aside for me if still available?

Thanks