edzer

Worrying steering wobble. Anybody any ideas?

I've been getting a strange wobble through my steering of my vr for a while and had assumed it was unballanced wheels but I just had them done when I got an MOT last week (going to get them redone just to make sure). Its still there.

More worrying is that I took it for a proper burn for the first time in ages last wend and noticed that the wobble seems to get worse under power and breaking.

Both track rod ends and roll bar links were changed for the MOT. The wish bone bushes were put down as an advisory but im pretty sure its not that.

Had a look through the forums and couldnt found anything that particularly fit.

Anybody got any ideas as to what it could be?

Cheers guys.

Edited by edzer

What speed does it start to wobble or is it all the time?

I kept having a wobble at 60-70 mph and i had my wheels balanced numerous times by kwick fit and it was still there. i even got a wheel refurbished as they said one of them was buckled it still persisted after that so in the end got new front tyres on the front as they needed changing done at national tyres and has been spot on since. Not alot of these big companies get their tyre balancing machine calibrated so ive heard

I would go with the balancing of the wheels first as Jon says. Also double check the work done under the car for loose bolts etc, you never know.

as daft as it sounds make sure the numpty's have tightened all the wheel nuts too!

Is the wobble speed related? And I dont mean just under power or braking. Generally if its wheel balancing the feeling will increse/decrease with speed.

Have you jacked the car up and tried both front wheels for play? As has been said earlier check the wheel nuts, but I would also check that both front wheels are seated correctly against the hub/disc.

Unsure of the set up on the VR, but could a possible suspect be the balljoints?

If everything seems ok underneath, you could swap the fronts and rears just to take the wheels/tyres out the equation.

Get it seen to as soon as bud, you dont want a wheel flying off at any sort of speed.

Dougie

Ive hada quick look andthe wheel bolts are def all tight. I'l swap the wheels around and see.

wobble starts being noticable at about 40mph or so.

Cheers folks.

Edited by edzer

That's quite low speed for tyre balance issues - but few things to check:

Tyre/wheel balancing - check for bulges/tears also

Wheel tracking/alignment

Steering rack bolts/bushes

Check to make sure the bolts wich hold the stearing rack are secure. There are four bolts either holding 2 bushes in u clamps round the rack on manual steering and on power steering 2 bolts go through rack, and two hold one bush round the rack.

Also check that the bolt that holds the steering column to the rack is securely in place.

CV Joints - bolts worked themselves loose?

Drive Shaft vibration damper - might have come loose, just cut it off.

http://the-corrado.net/showthread.php?t=101

You haven’t got wheel spacers have you?

So it is something to do with the wheels/tyres. swapped the front and back and the wobbles gone but the whole car shakes above 40. Time for a trip to quick fit.

Cheers guys.

Sounds like one of the wheels or tyres are miss-shaped?

Mine had one since I got the car tried all different things to solve it , found out it was my front ns brake calliper playing up .

Easy way to tell is if you have just one pad wearing down a lot quicker than the other 3 , that's how I noticed it anyway