shaunje

Head Gasket AGAIN

It would seem my Corrado 1.8 16V loves eating head gaskets!

Before I bought it, it was done at least once although judging by the head i'd say more.

In the last two months it's eaten 2! Is this a common issue with the KR engine?

I'm at 146K.

I've changed the head and it's happened again, so I think I might change the block now too...

It's got hot yeah, as it burnt it's own coolant. Not used it since but it's my daily motor so I need to start sorting it out.

It's only been fixed from last head gasket a month or so!

Are you sure it's the gasket then and not the heat exchanger?

Ive not heard that term before? whats the heat exchanger?

as above in regards to Heat exchanger/oil cooler failure, I recently brought a cheap audi a4 1.8t with oil cooler failure, not a single trace of coolant in the engine/oil/sump but the cooling system was over flowing with engine oil, I was certain it was oil cooler as the car still drove fine and because engine oil was clean , removed oil cooler and pressurised the coolant pipes on the cooler via air compressor in a bucket of water and tiny bubbles started appearing from the oil section, so that just confirmed it for me that oil is passing through into my cooling system ...

forte bio degreaser.. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Forte-Car-Bio-Cooling-Coolant-System-Degreaser-400ml-/140555308056?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item20b9bfcc18

It doesnt strike me as the oil cooler at all... there was no cross contamination of fluids. It was just blowing all the coolant either into the cylinder or out of the header tank (via the little hole behind the black cover).

It was difficult to start, idled like **** and was just unresponsive.

I've taken the head off and measured it and it seems to have warped quite a bit, so it's in for skim and pressure test at the moment, new gaskets throughout and bolts etc have just been delivered so will try and make her breathe fire once again :D

I was gonna ask if during all these gasket changes if the head had been skimmed and pressure tested. Waste of time just replacing the gasket if the head has warped, and even more pointless if it's cracked. Probably cheaper to get a replacement head if it has cracked.

I had the same on mine. Coolant loss from the tank. I believe my head wasn't torqued down correctly