leon263

Clutch problems

I had an interesting experience last week when, on my way from Belfast back to Bangor, I completely lost the use of the clutch. I was just pulling away from lights and was changing from 3rd to 4th when the pedal went completely to the floor and stayed there. The next 15 miles were pretty interesting, trying to anticipate lights etc, while stuck in 3rd gear. I managed to struggle home and my son and I had a look at things that evening. Everything looked OK with plenty of fluid in the reservoir and no apparent leaks. We tried to bleed the system with no success so we disconnected the feed to the slave cylinder and operated the pedal to test the master cylinder. All was in order so the slave cylinder seemed to be the culprit. I ordered on from the internet for £43 and fitted it to-day. Check out the photo below to see the state of the one that came out. It had totally disintegrated and came away in two pieces. We bolted in the new one, bled it and I have a happy Corrado again. At a guess, I'd imagine there might be some clutch fluid in the bottom of the bell housing but the clutch if fine so far. I'm quite surprised at the total failure of the slave cylinder as the car has only 95k on it but all in all, it could have been worse.

P5040001.jpg

That's an original one as it's painted and the new ones are cast alloy - I'm surprised it's lasted this long as most cars are 20 years old now!

Mine was like that too when I pulled it out, although there was no apparent problems. Mine was also the original I think, and it had done 144k.