Kempy

electrical issues, all sorts affected

I'm not sure whats going on all together but I'll list whats happening and whats not

Wipers have stopped today, I think this is the motor, I'm getting one to test this, however, when I turn them on the dash lcds flick off and the needles flick too?

Also, I still have a issue with the headlight switch its acts as a ignition switch somehow and say if I've had the lights on and switch the engine off the engine still runs unless I switch the lights off, this now effects the stereo as Ive just refitted that and all the speakers, ( i dont seem to have memory on the stereo either )

spoiler works but only manually, what colour wires/loom goes to the back of the car for this?

There was a carphone kit in the car and an alarm which Ive removed as much of that as possible leaving only original looms so its a lot tidier but I think the earths are bad but I've cleaned as much as that as I could ( behind the battery ) What could I look at next as a possible starting point? Thanks

Plus I've noticed that the dash and switch illumination is on when lights aren't.

Edited by Kempy

Wipers have stopped now. Fuse is fine and I've put another motor on from my other car and nothing. Not even a click or anything?

I don't know how good you are at electrics Kempy ? .But with the problems you have inc a the headlight switch turning the car off , I would be getting an auto electrician to take a look mate .

Some very strange issues going on here .

Rob

Edited by robrado974

Sorry just saw your last post and thought you just needed an alternator!

Agree with what Rob has said though.

Hi Kempy

Has all your electrics ever been working?

Have you done any alterations or electrical work to car?

If so then re-check/inspect all your electrical work, connections and cable run etc.

There are other basics that you could check out before you call in an Auto electrician.

Check main earth connection by battery and also pull out one relay at a time and check for any water ingress.

With all the rain the Uk have had lately I'm thinking of buying a Sub!

If there is any water getting in this will play havoc with all electrics.

Steve

Steve

I've stopped any water getting in I think. I'll take it to an auto electrician as I've not really done any to it. It's all too odd for me or anyone to advise without looking at it. I know one or two guys so it's not a problem. With the alternator, what voltage should I expect when it's running and when it's not? I checked today and when it was running it was 14, that's without anything going. I have no idea what's wrong with wipers maybe something has come out the back of the fuse box. Next stop leccy, good job it's not a daily

HI Kempy

On your alternator there should be a voltage rectifier and normally there is a voltage mark on it. 14v sounds about right tho

I had that issue with engine continuing to run when switched off if the lights were on. Mine was an absolute horror show of wiring from three alarms being fitted and removed over the years. I had the dash out for a heater matrix change, so re-made all the splices with good soldered connections and heat shrink. (It was just twisted wire and the occasional bit of insulation tape before, but mostly bare wire shorting and earthing everywhere!). Once it was all back together, problem solved.

I've had the dash out as I had mine flocked. Suppose when it went back together it could of all gone back wrong