g0ldf1ng3r

Question about split rim BBS wheels

Hi all

I have recently brought some BBS RX 2's from a Martin_B (thanks muchly) & have a couple of questions as ive never worked with split rims before.

They currently have tires on them which i want to make use of but the wheels need a refurb - can anyone clarify if i would be able to let the air out of the tires to release all the pressure & then remove the bolts & split the rims ok or would it be an issue?

Also, is there a special bolt removal tool or is it just a particular size of star driver?

Thanks in advance

RX2 aren't split rim, they're two piece. So undoing the bolts will leave you with a centre and a barrel that doesn't split, the the tyres will have to be demounted in the usual way.

I think you need an M7 XZN bit, there are some on ebay listed for use on BBS wheels

Andy

Hi all

I have recently brought some BBS RX 2's from a Martin_B (thanks muchly) & have a couple of questions as ive never worked with split rims before.

They currently have tires on them which i want to make use of but the wheels need a refurb - can anyone clarify if i would be able to let the air out of the tires to release all the pressure & then remove the bolts & split the rims ok or would it be an issue?

Also, is there a special bolt removal tool or is it just a particular size of star driver?

Thanks in advance

The hardest thing with RX 2's is removing the bolts without them either shearing or rounding off the splines on the heads. Make sure that the have the correct spline heads and some spares as they take a lot of stress and become worn during removal. Although they are split rims they are unlike RM's where you have to split the rim itself. RX's simply come apart in two, with the face plate coming detached from the single part rim. You can leave the tyres on and just get a tyre fitter to pop the beads on the tyres if you are going to polish or re-paint the rims yourself.

I had my RX2's professionally re-furbed and diamond cut, but dismantled and re-assembeled the wheels myself.

There was a cracking guide on the UK Polos Forum :)

The hardest thing with RX 2's is removing the bolts without them either shearing or rounding off the splines on the heads. Make sure that the have the correct spline heads and some spares as they take a lot of stress and become worn during removal. Although they are split rims they are unlike RM's where you have to split the rim itself. RX's simply come apart in two, with the face plate coming detached from the single part rim. You can leave the tyres on and just get a tyre fitter to pop the beads on the tyres if you are going to polish or re-paint the rims yourself.

I had my RX2's professionally re-furbed and diamond cut, but dismantled and re-assembeled the wheels myself.

There was a cracking guide on the UK Polos Forum :)

Thank you thats great info & what i was hoping for :)

I have found a few refurb guides online but they are all for the full 3 piece splits (still good info though) - i will have a search for the polo forum one you mention

For the RH ZW1 it looks like the lip actually holds the tyre http://www.pureklas.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SDC13424.jpg

And so can I safely delate the tyre, remove the lip, polish it and then put the tyre and the lip back on and pump up the tyre? Taking note of the tyre orientation for balancing?

Cheers

Ron

The bead will probably still need breaking from the rim, and without stating the obvious, you will need to re-seal the joint when re-assembling.

For the RH ZW1 it looks like the lip actually holds the tyre http://www.pureklas.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/SDC13424.jpg

And so can I safely delate the tyre, remove the lip, polish it and then put the tyre and the lip back on and pump up the tyre? Taking note of the tyre orientation for balancing?

Cheers

Ron

Ron you have to get the tyre removed to split the rim mate. It's nigh on impossible (if at all) to cut through the rim sealant with the tyre on and 100% impossible to reseal the rim with the tyre on. It's pretty easy though - get the tyre off, whip all the bolts out, run a Stanley knife round the sealant then gently knock the rim off with a rubber mallet and use a flap wheel or similar clean both surfaces. Rebuilding you have two options - build the rim then seal once it's built or (the way I have always done it) run a small bead of sealant round both surfaces, build the rim and smooth it, then wait for that to go off and run a second bead. This is the way I've always done it and never had a problem with leaking rims :)

Good advice there Jamie I thought you would have to remove the tyre but wasn't certain :thumbleft: