Strugs

VR6 in Surrey - as featured on Pistonheads!

Hi all, noob from Farnham in Surrey here. Just sold my VX220 Turbo and needed something fun, a bit more practical (although anything is more practical than the VX!), and (hopefully) depreciation-proof for the next 12-18 months before I head back to VX-land (although I might still keep the Corrado), and to keep my E30 325 'vert company in the garage..

Been a Corrado (VR6 specifically) fan since they were new - still have the Autocar mag with the twin test against the E36 325 from when I was 15! - but hadn't really considered one (I was looking for an E36 M3 Evo saloon if I'm honest!) until I saw the 'spotted' feature on Pistonheads last week..

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=29994

I read it, re-read the Autocar test, called the guy, paid a deposit over the phone and drove it home Saturday! It needs a service and some electrical niggles (central locking and wing mirrors for starters!) sorting but overall, I'm really quite taken with it already. They say you should never drive your heroes, but so far I'm not disappointed!

Anyway.. "hello!" :wave:

Off to do some searching for central locking/alarm and wing mirror fixes! :help:

Edited by Strugs

Welcome to Corrado ownership and to the forum. Always nice to see them go to good homes. Very nice original looking car you have there. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it

Wing mirror disobedience is often the switch in the door handle. Fairly easy to take apart; give the contacts a bit of a clean and reassemble with some contact grease. Just be careful when you pop the switch casing open that the little bits inside don't end up strewn across the floor - you'll understand what I mean when you open it up....

Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to Corrado ownership and to the forum. Always nice to see them go to good homes. Very nice original looking car you have there. Looking forward to seeing your progress with it

Ta - and thanks for pointing me here from PH as well!

Wing mirror disobedience is often the switch in the door handle. Fairly easy to take apart; give the contacts a bit of a clean and reassemble with some contact grease. Just be careful when you pop the switch casing open that the little bits inside don't end up strewn across the floor - you'll understand what I mean when you open it up....

Welcome to the forum.

Ta! Need to take some brave pills and tackle the door handle then - I'm guessing there's a "how to" on this site, I'll look through it later!

Hello. I too used to have a VX a few years back - Not a turbot though..

Hello! I've had an NA and latterly a turbo (Stg 3 tuned!). I'll be heading for a supercharged one next year..

Welcome! Car certainly provided some good debate / discussion on PistonHeads - you'll have to post up a thread there saying you bought it ;)

We all know the Corrado wasn't a massive sales success; the styling must have something to with it given the pretty little Mk1 Scirocco established such a high start point for small VW coupes. Now it's fairly plain appearance seems quite befitting of the time. It's not showy or dramatic, the wheels looking especially tiny by contemporary standards, but there's something pleasingly unpretentious about it. Or it's just a bit dull.

I thought that was a pretty schit 'Spotted' feature to be honest. They're normally pretty good on PH but I couldn't decide whether the guy actually likes Corrados or not after reading this /\ paragraph.

The styling is the one thing we are unanimously agreed on in here, being the best thing about the Corrado!

Still, it's a good example and glad it's gone to an enthusiast!

I thought that was a pretty schit 'Spotted' feature to be honest. They're normally pretty good on PH but I couldn't decide whether the guy actually likes Corrados or not after reading this /\ paragraph.

The styling is the one thing we are unanimously agreed on in here, being the best thing about the Corrado!

Still, it's a good example and glad it's gone to an enthusiast!

I agree it wasn't the most enthusiastic article I've read on there. I emailed the author to tell him that I'd bought the featured car and he was more enthusiastic in reply saying "I was born too late to remember the Corrado when it was new but soon learnt about its quality."