hutchison1985

Please Help Vr6 turbo or Vr6 supercharged Views

Hi guys I am now on corrado number 16. I have mostly had G60's which I love. I have had four Vr's 3 of which the head gasket has gone. I am now on my lucky forth. Like I said i love the g60 for the instant supercharger power. Now driving the Vr I hate the lack of power lower down the reves. I am heading towards the supercharged Vr as it will give me the lower down power and is what I believe the easier install. I am not looking for massive gains but still want it to give a punch. I would like to get over the 300bhp mark.

If you have had a supercharged Vr then changed to turbo Vr can you explain why.

Otherwise just give me your thoughts. Cheers guys

From what ive been told the biggest disadvantage of a supercharger on a VR6 is that all the power comes in late in the rev range so you are constantly ragging the nuts off it to get the power

Had both, turbo wins every time. Can explain in more detail tomorrow if nobody else does but just about to head out!

You going to national day matt?

Hey mate, unfortunately not as the car is in getting a respray at the moment, really missing it!

VR6Matty You are saying turbo yet your pic is with a v2 how come?

Its definitely a turbo :) boost piping from the intercooler is what you can see

go for roots type charger and get the instant low down grunt, seems like a complicated install though.

Hi guys I am now on corrado number 16. I have mostly had G60's which I love. I have had four Vr's 3 of which the head gasket has gone. I am now on my lucky forth. Like I said i love the g60 for the instant supercharger power. Now driving the Vr I hate the lack of power lower down the reves. I am heading towards the supercharged Vr as it will give me the lower down power and is what I believe the easier install. I am not looking for massive gains but still want it to give a punch. I would like to get over the 300bhp mark.

If you have had a supercharged Vr then changed to turbo Vr can you explain why.

Otherwise just give me your thoughts. Cheers guys

If it's low down grunt you want then a turbo is the way forward. The G-Lader is a scroll type, whereas the VR options (Vortech/Rotrex) are centrifugal. As mentioned, the charger is all top end power and IMO made the lower end a lot worse than standard (with my Vortech anyway - Rotrex are meant to be a lot better). Just seemed to lose urgency. 300bhp with a supercharger sounds impressive on paper, but the reality is that it doesn't really feel that fast until you're high up in the revs, at which point the party is over as you hit the red line. They don't give particularly impressive torque gains either. Also, I found heat to be a major problem and was constantly worried about things melting or going pop under the bonnet.

Some guys here prefer chargers though, as it's more in keeping with a Standard VR's power delivery. I've attached some pics which show dyno plots of my turbo vs supercharger - think that's all you need to see :) (both mapped and tested at Stealth Racing)

As for budget, yep as mentioned £2k will get you charged (if you fit it yourself), but if I were you I'd put that money towards a turbo conversion. There's a reason why quite a few guys have moved on to a turbo from a charger. People told me the same as I'm telling you and I charged it anyway - big (expensive) mistake!

Hope this helps

bhp_zpsbe204d6e.jpg

torque_zps0d568df9.jpg

If it's low down grunt you want then a turbo is the way forward. The G-Lader is a scroll type, whereas the VR options (Vortech/Rotrex) are centrifugal. As mentioned, the charger is all top end power and IMO made the lower end a lot worse than standard (with my Vortech anyway - Rotrex are meant to be a lot better). Just seemed to lose urgency. 300bhp with a supercharger sounds impressive on paper, but the reality is that it doesn't really feel that fast until you're high up in the revs, at which point the party is over as you hit the red line. They don't give particularly impressive torque gains either. Also, I found heat to be a major problem and was constantly worried about things melting or going pop under the bonnet.

Some guys here prefer chargers though, as it's more in keeping with a Standard VR's power delivery. I've attached some pics which show dyno plots of my turbo vs supercharger - think that's all you need to see :) (both mapped and tested at Stealth Racing)

As for budget, yep as mentioned £2k will get you charged (if you fit it yourself), but if I were you I'd put that money towards a turbo conversion. There's a reason why quite a few guys have moved on to a turbo from a charger. People told me the same as I'm telling you and I charged it anyway - big (expensive) mistake!

Hope this helps

bhp_zpsbe204d6e.jpg

torque_zps0d568df9.jpg

I totally second what Nick is saying. I went Vortech charger and it wasn't nice to drive, all power under 4k rpm was flat, then a quick peak at top end and it's over.

Went back to standard as it felt much better to drive.

Dot waste your money, for 2k you could just sell the C, put that towards the pot and buy a faster car....or save up and go Turbo.

Honestly having driven and passengered in both applications, I think the only reason you'd go for a basic supercharger installation over a basic turbo installation is down to how much you can afford to spend. Turbo is just much, much better suited to the VR, but seems to cost about 2-3x as much for a 'stage 1' type installation.

As others have said here, you are not getting anywhere near a turbo install for 2k sadly - they're well into the 5-6k bracket.

Nick please stop posting those curves..... some of us have to wait! ;)

Hope this helps

bhp_zpsbe204d6e.jpg

torque_zps0d568df9.jpg

go for roots type charger and get the instant low down grunt, seems like a complicated install though.

Stealth Racing's old fabricator guy had a MK3 VR6 with a big Eaton attached to it. I think it was an M90 off a Merc.

It was indeed a complicated install because positive displacement chargers need a second throttle to regulate boost (they make boost at idle!) and those Eatons generate massive amounts of heat, hence their nickname: "Heaton".

Anyway, with a Vince special map, that thing was absolutely superb. Uber grunty everywhere in the rev range and smooth as silk with it. Way faster than any centrifugal charger job on a VR6.

Centrifugal chargers are best left for R32s.

you've mentioned that mk3 before kev, and something a bit different like that holds a lot of appeal for me, wouldn't be for everyone of course.

my merc 180k uses smaller eaton and its surprisingly nippy, looses breath high in revs range but that's typical of roots type charges, by the time you're past 4k it shouldn't be an issue for a vr anyway.

got other priorities at the minute, but one day i've promised myself I'm gonna do it.

If turbo charging the vr costs £5-6k , if I were in the same quandary I have a feeling I'd start looking at 20v turbo (1.8) type engine swap. Would this cost the same sort of money or more or less? I realise the desire may be to keep the vr engine but if 300bhp is the target? Just my 2p.

That's interesting an 8 directly beside ) converts to a smiley, lesson learned . 1800 vag turbo from s3, leon etc was what I was meaning.